waterlogged floatation?

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice
My Stratos had a problem with water coming in under the rub-rail when coming out of the hole. We sealed the cap and now it is not taking on water, but the top end speed is only 52 mph (should be about 62-64 based on what the factory says. I bought the boat used and I know that it used to run faster. <br /><br />Is it possible that the floatation foam has gotten waterlogged? If so, then I'm carrying way too much water weight. Anyone have any experience with this?<br /><br />Maybe I can get the expected weight from the Stratos folks and take the boat to a truck scale.<br /><br />If it is waterlogged, how can it be dried out? <br /><br />Thanks for your suggestions.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: waterlogged floatation?

yur on right track IMO, get it weighed first.<br />almost impossible to dry saturated foam especially<br />if it's older open cell type. it has to be removed.<br />and replaced with new foam.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

What size boat and motor so you have?<br />10-12 mph is a lot of speed loss. I would have to add about 1000# (roughly 125 gallons) to my boat to get that much drop in top speed. Check the condition of your engine. When is the last time it was tuned? Decarbed?

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 285XL Pro (18 1/2 feet) with a FastStrike 150. I'm having the engine checked on a dyno. Maybe soon I'll find out why the speed is so slow. Thanks.

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

SoLittle:<br />"What are your rpms at WOT? "<br /><br /> I'm not sure...I have changed the tach to a new one and it isn't working...the check lights work...just the tach doesn't. I'm also having the rectifier/electrical system checked out.

SeaJayacas

Seaman Apprentice

"should be about 62-64 based on what the factory says"<br /><br />FWIW factories often exagerate top speed, sometimes quite substantially.

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

We haven't gotten the tach working yet or weighed the boat, but, we may have found part of the problem. One (at least) carb bowl is leaking substantially where a "bb?" fits into a hole. Other posts have told me that this is a common problem with OMC's. They said to epoxy the hole (or marinetex it) and the leak would stop. This may be part of the lost power problem. I'll try and post the results.