Water under floor board of boat.................

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just found out that there is maybe a gallon of water under the floor board of my boat. Now I know that I can drill holes to get the water out, but how long does it need to dry out for? It has not been leaking for a long time, just in the past 2-3 weeks.. Any input will be helpful. <br /> Thanks Ryan C. :p

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water under floor board of boat.................

...don't you have a drain hole at the back end of your boat and/or a bildge pump? :p

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The water is under the floor. I do have a drain hole at back of boat, and a bilge pump.

tmac58star

Seaman Apprentice

ryanc,<br />is a fiberglass or aluminum boat? may have holes forward and to the sides of the bilge to let any hull water into the bilge. If it does, take plugs out and raise bow. while its draining, inspect the bottom. Marine tex is a good choice to repair small leaks.

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timster--- (fiberglass boat) Drilled 2 holes at back of boat were my gully is, and only 1 1/2 cup of water that fills up a small coffee cup came out, (not that much). No holes on outside of boat to let water in. I now have to find out where the hole is inside of boat. The water was on the sides of the middle beam only. I hope i find it soon. Rain is on the way..... <br /> thanks for everybodys replys Ryan C.

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

--(forgot to add in last post)--when boat is on trailer, and when it rains somewhere water leaks to a hole, and it leaked under the floor board thus causing the water to gather over a period of a couple months. This is a small 14' fiberglass boat.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Maybe you could enlarge the holes you drilled in the bilge sump area and feed a hose through the hole, connect it to the bilge pump, and suck it out. I am suprised more didn't drain out when you drilled the holes. Did you elevate the bow as high as you could? Are you not covering the boat? A full boat cover, even a cheapy $40 Wal-mart special will solve the moisture problem.

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IJason--i did elvate the boat as high as possibly and still the same amount. I heard no koee water in the hull. This is a good thing, right?. Anyway i don't cover the boat, but i always thought as long as the have a good open drainage system, that rain water would exit the boat no problem? Anywho you mean evertime i use the boat, that afterwards i should cover it? Even if the boating season? rc

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, good practice to always cover your boat. Rainwater can do no good to an open boat. Personally, I would not consider NOT covering my boat after use. Water can come in anywhere and you are just inviting it if you don't cover it. A tarp only takes a few minutes to throw on and bungee down...

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the thing, if I wash out the boat after use, water will still get in this hole? right? rc

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its one thing to get a little water in from washdown or while in use, its a whole 'nuther animal to leave it in the rain. Accumulated dirt and dust and debris can also get into the bilge, clog drainage, and cause water to stay instead of draining. Yes, I highly recommend keeping the boat covered while not in use. Not only does it keep water out, but it also keeps the harsh sun from damaging upholstry and other materials. I keep my boat in the water from May to late September, and I keep a cover on it with poles to keep it tented to prevent water from collectiong on the cover. It keeps the water and the debris out of the boat. When I lived at my old house in town, I kept the boat under the carport. Basicaly my boat is covered at all times when I am not in it. That is the best way to preserve a boat. The amount of problems you save yourself from by covering the boat is immeasureable.

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for your all your tips. I will cover boat the from now on, but I must find this hole as well.<br /> <br /> Thanks again!!!! Ryan C.

LubeDude

Admiral

I want to know how you knew a cup and a half of water was in there in the first place. What are ya Phsycic. :eek:

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put a coffee cup behind drain hole, and the water in boat filled up just this small cup!<br /> thanks for your reply