Water Temp Gauge, Temp Sensors, Wiring

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys,<br /><br />1984 Johnson 115 Hp V4. Just got done doing the thermostats cleaned heads etc. When idling my tempature gauge rises to 210 degrees and higher, but the warning horn does not sound.<br />I can hold my fingers on top of each head and count to 5 without burning them.<br />The Tempature sensors in the heads are connected, but do not know if they are working. I think they are because the temp warning went off before doing the work. <br />I see a Tan wire disconnected from the rear box on the motor, and they have an electric automobile sender mounted with a bracket touching the port side head cover. There is a wire that goes from that sender to the Temp gauge.I dont think this sender can work like this. Does it need to be submerged in water to read correctly? How can I test the Temp Sensors in the heads? What color wire is supposed to go the the Temp gauge from the omc temp sensors? Thanks.<br /> :confused: <br /> Joe

D

DJ

Re: Water Temp Gauge, Temp Sensors, Wiring

Joe,<br /><br />Each head should have a temp sensor (warning).<br /><br />There should be a tan wire going to each one. That's your disconnected tan wire. That's why the warning horn doesn't work.<br /><br />I think the set up you have, whoever did it, is giving you bad readings.<br /><br />If you can hold your hand on the heads, it's not hot.<br /><br />Hook up and test the warning sensors. All you have to do is gound that tan wire, with the key on.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water Temp Gauge, Temp Sensors, Wiring

The sender touching the port head (it is for marine use)is for the temp guage. The sender in the head with the brown wire is for the overheating horn. I have the same set-up + pressure guages for water pressure.