water temp gauge on a 1974 johnson

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to connect a water temperature sensor (because I have a very nice gauge set, and I already installed the gauge on the dash), but I noticed that my head does not have a threaded hole. First question, I guess, is can I use one of the senders that bolts on to the head? It is a faria gauge...<br />Is the resistance range the same on all different water temp senders? (ie. can I use a teleflex sending unit) and if I were to drill and tap a hole in my cylinder head cover to fit a sender, where should I put it? Thanks in advance.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: water temp gauge on a 1974 johnson

Sending units do differ,but you generally get some reading,and when cold it's low,when warm it's higher.That is basically what you need.It is relevence you are gauging,to keep you out of trouble.<br />Your Johnson dealer should be able to supply a sender,as well as a 'z' shaped bracket.The bracket bolts to a water cover bolt,the sender screws into it and is held against the <br />head.<br />If you also install a new water pump,when you do this you will have a good reference to start from.<br />When the gauge reads higher,you'll know something is changing.<br />DHP