Water Temp. Alarm Testing

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know how to go about testing the water temperature alarm please? I have never heard it go off, but I would like to know it works.<br /><br />Engine is a 1989 Evinrude 140.<br /><br />Thanks

ob

Admiral
Re: Water Temp. Alarm Testing

There is I believe a tan wire leading from sensor at top of powerhead to alarm control box.Locate where sensor (two wires ) are and ground the tan wire by slipping back the insulation around splice .Key will have to be in on position to perform.Alarm should sound.This does not mean that the thermo sensor necessarily will trigger circuit at proper temp.It does however indicate that circuit is working when triggered.The sensor itself would have to be removed and temp checked by external heat source to determine whether it is within range .Two leads would then be checked for continuity during this test to verify making and breaking alarm circuit.I think sensor is suppose to alarm at around 165 or so.

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Water Temp. Alarm Testing

It's a great idea to test the alarms each year. the trick is to simulate the error in arealistic fashion but not cause damage. My temp sensor is mounted on a bracket on the cylinder head. I would try running my boat on muffs to get warm then shutting down. turn ignition on but dont start motor then I would immediatly pour some hot water from a kettle on the sensor area. Otherwise you could dismount the sensor and heat it with a hair dryer etc. I am a little suspicious of just grounding the output wire. That will verify the wiring but not the sensor (but probably 90% of the time the wiring will be at fault.) <br /><br />regards