water tank for 25hp Mercury 2-stroke, not peeing

wolfee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the boat out about 3 months ago and it ran great. I took it off the boat and kept it in the garage over winter (not much of a winter). I have a garbage can that I turned into a water tank for the outboard, even put a drain near the bottom :) The motor currently sits on an outboard cart that is higher than if it was mounted on the boat. When I put the motor in the tank and start it, it doesn't pee. I'm wondering if the motor is too high because the water level is only a couple inches above where the water input hole is. Could this be the problem? I have the cups that you attach to a hose but we don't have very good water pressure and I always used the tank. I have a 50hp on the boat now, so I can't just mount it back on the boat and test it that way. I've already checked the water hose and it isn't clogged, just smoke coming out. I'm hoping it's just a water depth issue but thought I'd check here. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you ran the motor for any length of time (longer than a few seconds) without the water lever being way above the impeller, you may have toasted the impeller.

Hoptoit

Recruit
I had the boat out about 3 months ago and it ran great. I took it off the boat and kept it in the garage over winter (not much of a winter). I have a garbage can that I turned into a water tank for the outboard, even put a drain near the bottom :) The motor currently sits on an outboard cart that is higher than if it was mounted on the boat. When I put the motor in the tank and start it, it doesn't pee. I'm wondering if the motor is too high because the water level is only a couple inches above where the water input hole is. Could this be the problem? I have the cups that you attach to a hose but we don't have very good water pressure and I always used the tank. I have a 50hp on the boat now, so I can't just mount it back on the boat and test it that way. I've already checked the water hose and it isn't clogged, just smoke coming out. I'm hoping it's just a water depth issue but thought I'd check here. Thanks for any help.
Man it's probably the water pump gone bad. The little rubber spider that slings the water.

wolfee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replaced the waterpump/impeller a couple years ago, so I doubt that's the problem. I'm hoping it's the water level in the tank. Gotta figure out a way to either raise the tank or lower the motor. Thanks all, I'll update when I figure the tank issue out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depending on how long you ran it ( possibly dry ) the impeller may be damaged.----Very important to have a good impeller in that motor !---Easy to pull apart to check it.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
I replaced the waterpump/impeller a couple years ago, so I doubt that's the problem. I'm hoping it's the water level in the tank. Gotta figure out a way to either raise the tank or lower the motor. Thanks all, I'll update when I figure the tank issue out.
If the water level was to low to pump the water then it was to low to lubricate the impeller so I think your hoping for the wrong problem..
some engines don't pee much when idling that is what you should be hoping for

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Was the full gearbox submerged ? Just when you say the “hole” was under the water. Not often that folk describe the two intakes as holes. Don’t really look like holes…and if they did…you might have described them in the plural…with there being two of them. Usually anyway.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm wondering if the motor is too high because the water level is only a couple inches above where the water input hole is.
The impeller is over an inch above the split between the lower and the leg. So add 9" above the split for the water level