water stains help

gooseblitz

Cadet
Hey guys I picked up a bigger used Regal at the end of season last year that has checked out mechanically so far but it gets water marks very easily. Seems much different and quicker to need buffed out. Does my boat need professionally buffed out or is the gelcoat shot?
What are my options. The vinyl stripes were removed as it was about to be professionally buffed out when I purchased. My wife and I are considering some new graphics for the boat but I wanted to make certain I didn't need to have something done to the gelcoat first.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water stains help

Likely you have some microscopic porosity going on with the gel coat.

I'd clean it REALLY WELL with an agressive cleaner like "On and Off" hull cleaner sold by West marine. and then buff it followed by a wax high in teflon content.

It will make it harder for stains to get a foothold and much easier to clean without using harsh chemicals.

I had an older fiberglass boat do this and the former procedure worked well. I re-waxed the boat twice a year (we boat pretty much year round down here)

salty87

Commander

do you keep it covered or in a garage?

i've buffed my '87 dark blue hull more than a few times. it will dull again real quick if it isn't kept completely out of the sun as much as possible.

i've resorted to using a large blue tarp over my cover. it reaches all the way to the trailer and at least shades the hull. gonna get a bigger cover soon, should be some good prices this off-season.

gooseblitz

Cadet

I keep it covered on the trailer during the season. So it is out in the sun.
Thanks for hte suggestions guys I'll try some of hte tips I have read here for compounding to restore the shine. Keep em coming.