Water Pump

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I followed everyones advice and removed the LU today and took the water pump off. They impeller was intact but I could see that some of it had melted to the housing wall. Does this indicate a bad impeller? If so could that be the reason my engine is overheating? I also noticed that it had only melted to one side of the housing. How fast does the impeller spin? I think that this could be the reason why my tell tale only squirts water in spurts rather than one solid stream. My drive shaft is also missing the o-ring that goes on the top. It would be OK to put it on when I put the LU back on right? Thanks for the help.

skyking.5

Recruit
Re: Water Pump

The Impeller Is Bad, Look At Metal Suction Plat And Uper Pump Housing For Any Grooves At All, If So Replace All.;)

Rick.

Captain

Your water pump probably ran dry at some point in it's life hence the melted rubber. I've met quite a few owners that think they can run the motor for "a little bit" with no water. I don't think that's true. It turns the exact same RPM as your motor so it won't take long to heat it to the melt point with no water to cool it. The areas where the impeller touches against should be smooth. Be careful you don't loose the tiny drive pin and make sure the water tube lines up nice with the rubber (greased) grommet. Rick.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Replace entire assembly. Anything you can get at

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I was going to replace the whole assembly. The rubber tube does not meet the copper piece snuggly. It is loose. I think this is probably why I saw water leaking around where the LU meets the midsection. Any thought on this?

Rick.

Captain

The grommet isn't a tight fit. A little water leakage at the joint surface is not a problem, in fact, common. Rick.