water pump replacement

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any ideas how long it should take to replace the water pump impeller on a 2002 50tlra Yamaha engine.

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: water pump replacement

Well it took me about 4 hours the first time on my F150 but I'm guessing that now I know how to do it no more than a couple of hours. Sherm

robert graham

Admiral

There's not much tricky about the job, but the first time you do it, it'll take you a bit longer considering the "learning curve"....I did mine in about 2 hours, but I deliberately took my good time in my feeble attempt Not to screw it up!:)....it went off without a hitch!....Check/clean/ replace your thermostat and pressure control valve while you're at it...then you'll know your cooling system is in good shape!....good luck!

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed the new water pump today. I was able to complete the task in about 1.5 hours but when it was all done the water from the weep hole was still weak. So i took it all apart again just to verify that everything was done properly and it was. Then i realized that i had not used the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) method to find the problem. I got a piece of mechanics wire and inserted it into the weep hole and cleared the clog and now it pumps water just fine. But on the bright side, i now know how to replace the impeller. I guess that's what they call live and learn.