water pump question

63 Evinrude

Cadet
I’ve noticed that not much water exits the exhaust water outlet on my 63 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp. It’s more of a spray, my motor locked up Sunday due to over heating. I’ve had it out several times and have never had this problem. I’m going to change the impeller even though it's only a few months old. How much water should come out? Should it be a stream like on new motors or is the spray normal.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: water pump question

Water should gush from the thumb sized hole on the back of the exhaust leg. Not as much as you would get from a garden hose, but still a good amount.<br /><br />Seeing that you just replaced your impeller, is there something that makes you think it's not the thermostat? You could try removing the 'stat (thermostat) and leaving the 'stat cover off, and then running the engine. Water should gush from the 'stat housing when you run it.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water pump question

It is possible that you did not get the water tube and pump lined up. This could cause the problem you have. Remove the L/U and re-install it while making sure the tube is lined up.