Water pump question

badly bent or broke

Seaman Apprentice
I just changed the impeller on my '97 Force 75 HP. After starting the motor in a large tub of water I noticed some water escaping around the shift linkage rod. I ran the engine for several minutes with no sign of overheating and a steady stream of water came out of the telltale after warming up. Is it normal for water to leak out around the shift linkage rod?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pump question

yes, the water exiting the powerhead falls into the leg, it will leak out of the leg where ever it can.

badly bent or broke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Roscoe. After thinking about it overnight I thought I better drop the lower unit to make sure I put things together right. Apparently when I out it back together the first time the water tube slipped up too far off the pump. After reassembly the second time water came out of the tell tale immediately and there was no leakage around the shift linkage.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

I'm new to boating and really need help on my 1999 40 HP Force motor. I would like to change the impeller myself.
Below are what I think should be done.
1. separate the shift rod to turnbuckle. How? I have very little access to it. I can only insert my 3 fingers to access the turnbuckle and shift rod. How do I rotate or separate the rods? see link below for pictures?
2. Next, remove the 4 fasteners.
I noticed that the lower and middle unit housing are like together, cannot be separated. It seems lower unit has not been taken off yet. I hope I can easily separate the 2 units after working on item 1 and 2.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=211677892/a=120138043_120138043/t_=120138043