Water Pump Operation

Hi, I have a 1970 Johnson 115 that had an overheating problem last summer. I just got the boat at the end of last summer so I'm having to deal with previous owner bungles. I finally have the time to work on it and after getting the water pump off I found an RTV mess. The gasket was not seated properly and the smaller loop in that gasket was broken with about 1 inch of it just flapping out in the passage. A horrible seal job that hopefully explains the water in the lower unit oil. The impeller looks great, but everything around it seems a mess with all that RTV gunked up.<br /><br />I guess my question is whether that gasket leak as well as the overflow of RTV about one-eighth inch all around the passages would prevent the pump from pumpimg water efficiently enough to cool? I'm totally replacing the housing and impeller, but was hoping for a glimmer of hope that this might be the cause of the problem.<br /><br />Thank you in advance. You guys do a great job on these forums!<br /><br />Steve

Laddies

Banned
Re: Water Pump Operation

Water in the unit is a bad seal but the pump could have been sucking exhaust at the gasket

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would also check the t-stats if it has them

Thanks guys... I am replacing the seals and t-stats while I have everything apart. Hopefully that gasket problem was acting like using a straw with a hole in it and my problem will clear up with everything going together like it should have.<br /><br />Steve