Water Pump Operation (1973 Johnson 50)

DavidK

Cadet
How can I tell if my water pump is working using "ear muffs" with a hose on my 1973 Johnson 50? I rebuilt the water pump today and cranked it up, when the motor is running or off, a stream of water comes out the right side of the lower out drive from a weep hole. There is no upper weep hole on the motor, but there are two vertical rectangular holes coming directly out the back of the motor a few inches below the base of the motor housing. Should any water be coming out of those holes? I don't currently have a garbage can big enough to fit the motor in for a test run, so the only way I know to operate the motor is with the hose and muffs. Any ideas? I certainly don't want to burn my motor up and am not sure if it has a thermo shut off or alarm if the pump is not working. Thanks in advance for your help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Pump Operation (1973 Johnson 50)

there are two vertical rectangular holes coming directly out the back of the motor a few inches below the base of the motor housing

you should be getting mist, droplets at idle, rev it up just a little and should get more. those motors really do not like muffs.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You cannot test a water pump by running on muffs. You could completely remove the impeller and water would still go through, the hose pressure forcing it through.

The water squirting out the many drain holes means nothing--except the drain holes aren't plugged.

DavidK

Cadet

Thank you for the quick response! I am going to hunt down a big barrel to fill....I am about to try my hand at tuning the newly rebuilt carburetors.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I hate muffs and barrels, I do however love my $30 laser thermometer, they never lie!