water pump not pumping?

sterling66

Seaman Apprentice
Well heres the low down if you dont already know, Bought a motor,water not comming out much .<br />Took leg apart,found seal for impeller in impeller shaft,and bits of old impeller.So took it apart and cleaned everything.Put it back together,bought everything new but impeller because the fellow that had it before me had changed it?<br />And looked good.But had rammed seal into wateroutlet.Inside there is key to turn impeller on shaft?Is this the reason not having any water at pee hole.Also i blow out water jacket.This little key was round and fit on bottom.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: water pump not pumping?

Is this the motor in your Buick or what?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

D

DJ

sterling,<br /><br />Let us know what kind of engine it is.<br /><br />Yes, the impeller should be keyed to the shaft.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Not really sure of your question, but yes, there is a key that "locks" the impeller to the shaft. You should see a slot in the shaft and impeller where the key would go. If it's not there, then yes, it would mean your pump was not working.

punt

Cadet

You may have lost the little key that fits in a flat spot on the shaft and into the slot on the impeller when you took it apart, especially if you didn't know about it when you pulled the shaft out.<br />Did you find it? It's not very big.<br />Without it the impeller won't turn.<br />Good luck.<br /><br />BTW, great site!! :) <br />Are most of the regulars on here ob mechanics?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I think they all are but me, punt.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty