Water Pump Impeller

cletis234

Cadet
Is it ok to coat the impeller with a little grease, like a putting a film on the impeller, the plate and cup?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pump Impeller

It's OK for ease of installation, otherwise unnecessary.

Quick-man

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When installing an impeller it makes it a little easier to rotate the driveshaft when lowering the cover. This does two things helps get the cover over the impeller and ensures that the impeller does not get pinched between the cover and the plate. I never have used grease or soap but I guess it won't hurt anything, just make sure the product you use will not attack the rubber.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Why soap over grease. I have always used grease but would like to hear the reason you do not.
petroleum/silicon products and rubber do not mix
cheaper
u could use a non petroleum grease

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Ok now I am confused when you say they don t mix as if pertroleum bases will break down the rubber. Not saying you are wrong but want to understand why a petroleum will break down a petroleum based rubber product.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Some contain petroleum distillates. Petroleum distillates break down the rubber in the rubber gaskets

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Oh like mineral spirits, kerosene, white spirits, naphtha, and Stoddard solvent ok I can see that but I avoid grease with petroleum distillantes. I thought you were taking about pertroleum grease in general. That cleaning grease cost more anyways.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Oh like mineral spirits, kerosene, white spirits, naphtha, and Stoddard solvent ok I can see that but I avoid grease with petroleum distillantes. I thought you were taking about pertroleum grease in general. That cleaning grease cost more anyways.
u got it

i386

Captain

Just to be safe, I'll use soap next time (if anything at all). Last year I left my Evinrude in the tank for severals days straight while I'd been working the kinks out of the engine since it had been sitting for a few years. The gas in the water actually made my impeller swell up and break free of the brass ring inside it. When I took it out, it smelled strongly of gas, was considerably larger than it was supposed to be, and was very soft. After about a week of sitting on the work bench it finally hardened up and shrank, presumable because the gas evaporated out of it. So my point is, grease probably won't hurt it, but I know petroleum solvents will cause problems if left in contact long enough. I'll use soap and not leave it in the tank.

There's a whole thread about this somewhere but I just thought I'd mention it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

In the first place, there is rubber and there is rubber. Petrolium products, including grease, absolutly will attack most rubber. However there are synthetic rubber compounds that are oil-resistant such as neoprene, or better yet Nitrile. Most of the O-rings in the motor are Buna-N (Nitrile) for that reason.

Hopefully, the impeller is oil resistant rubber. Because they get exposed to oil in use or storage. If it isn't oil resistant, get a better impeller. OK, sure soap is a better choice. Oil is better than grease because it will flush out much quicker when the motor is started.

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I always use rubber lude, the red stuff without any problems, always thought grease and oil rotted but it was interesting to read the scientific reason.
D