Water pump impeller replacement woes.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 1961 Merc 150 15 hp outboard. Runs great for the small amount of time that I had it in the can. Shut engine off after a few seconds when I realized the pump was not working. Pulled the lower unit and out came the guts of the transmission. Seems that the lower unit on these did not contain the clutch dog, gears, bands, etc. the mid section did. Got all of the parts lined up in sequence but for the life of me I cannot get the impeller out of the pump. It is not on the top of the l/u as most are, it is half way up the midsection with a bearing on each side. To remove the impeller I need to locate a tool to unscrew the bearing. Any ideas on where I might be able to locate such a tool?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water pump impeller replacement woes.

Ahh, yes. Welcome to the wonderful world of Automatic Transmission Mercs - Auto-Trannies for short. You need to build/borrow some special tools to get those parts out. A manual is a big help, too, as it's tricky getting everything back together correctly. Try www.oldmercs.com for manuals, parts, etc.<br />- Scott