Water Pump Impeller Play-Help

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I just got finished installing a new Water Pump kit and wanted to know if there is a little play on the impeller shaft when installing it with the plastic key? It looks like there is only one way to install the impeller on the shaft with that plastic key. The o-ring gets in the way so I put in down at the bottom of the shaft, slid the key into the impeller at the shaft indentation, then fit the o-ring in the bottom of the impeller. I wont install the lower unit until I find this out.<br />Thanks.<br /><br /> Joe

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water Pump Impeller Play-Help

You should really be using a manual to do this. Also you did not tell us what motor you have.<br /><br />I'll give it a stab anyway. Most OMC motors that I have played with require 2 rubber O rings when you replace the impeller. One goes just below the impeller and the other goes in a grove in the driveshaft just below the splines above the impeller. Make sure that you lightly grease the splines.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />I have a 1984 Johnson 115 Hp V4. I did exactly as the manual, and pretty sure I did it right. I installed the fat o-ring in the underside of the impeller. An O-ring on top of the impeller cup and plastic housing. And another large thin funny shaped o-ring in the bottom of the plastic impeller housing. I was just curious about the little bit of play of the impeller on the shaft.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, Yes, I did install an o-ring for the shaft under the spline.