Water pump gas oil mix1980 50 Evinrude

bdirect

Seaman
I am getting ready to put a 1980 50hp Evinrude back on the original MFG it was on when purchsed in 1980. I will need to do some work on the engine but as it has not run (will start and run) in the water for at least 4 years does anyone have any suggestions? Al;so what is the reputation for dependability of this engine?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Water pump gas oil mix1980 50 Evinrude

It's like all the rest of the old OMC's. Cast iron and will last forever. <br />I'd concern myself with the carbs and waterpump.<br />Clean the carbs and put new kits in 'em and replace the waterpump.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

bdirect

Seaman

Thanks Hooty<br /><br />How much of a job to change the water pump?<br />Worked on a lot of cars first time in outboards<br />Might somebody suggest a place to get a good repair manual?<br />I am also I bit confused about the gas oil ratio.<br />I have read a couple of different mixes.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

bdirect <br /><br />It's really no big deal to change out the pump, if you have the manual. Basically you drop the lower unit and replace it. But the procedure is where the manual comes in handy. Nothings gonna pop out at ya. I feel that all boaters should know how to do it themselves, as it's part of maintenence every 2 years. You can get a generic manual at the bottom left of this page that covers many models in your HP range(I like the Seloc for beginners) or a "motor specific" factory manual(Recommended) from the link below. And if you have problems when you get into it, we are always here to help you through it. The oil ratio is a 50:1 mixture.1 pint of TCW-3 outboard oil per 6 gallons of gas.<br /><br /> Oil/Gas Mixture Chart I know it's a Nissan site, but the chart still applies to your motor.<br /><br /> Factory Manual

bdirect

Seaman

Thank-you Rick....fishing is life and boats are a means to an end!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Good one, bdirect! There is always 2 ways to look at it. And I fish alot.....