water pump defect ??

skeeterFever

Cadet
well i dont know what this is,,,,,but see the little hole in the inside of the pump.........i cleaned it out now,,,,but it had about 1/16---1/8 piece of plastic sticking out........like it was part of the casted pump housing itself.....

i replaced impeller a few days ago- and after a few minutes had an over heat,,,,not to hott...but wasnt right....i did not see this {piece-defect or problem } prior to putting in the impeller...

i clened that big burr off,,,,not protruding now.....is this housing shot????

needless that protrusion destroyed the impeller somewhat: shoulda seen it the first time-but im green.... i cleaned and picked it out and sanded it with fine 600 grit, then 800 gritt....smooth now......prolly will order whole unit this time,,,,,,

anyone seen this or got clues to what happened..

1979 merc inline 6 115hp

the protruding piece coming from that hole actualy dug in and cutt the impeller to bits.....{the impeller didnt dig into that hole} that hole had pump housing plastic sticking out of it that dug into impeller}

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pump 1.jpg
    pump 1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: water pump defect ??

Hi,

Your water pump body melted from starting the engine out of the water.
Your stainless steel cup is now not centered correctly. It is canted in the body. So for best pump performance replace it. Chances are you water pump base is melted too. I would replace it too. This can happen a couple of other ways but they are rare.

skeeterFever

Cadet

hello all. i took a couple weeks off away from the boat.......1st i wanna say thanks iboats....i ordered a whole new pump monday morning and it arrived today at 1oclock......excellent..

well i installed the whole new pump , gaskets and impeller,,,,,,greased the impeler with a tad bit of vaseline to get that booger in the housing..

every thing went to gether so smooth{ i was very scared i wouldnt be able to align the shift shaft or drive shaft alone....}

but it went in like clock work.....bolted it up.....checked forward neutral reverse......perfect..

put my cut off 55 gallon drum under the engine filled it with water.....i turned the key and water almost instantly shott out the wee hole long before the engine even cranked..

took me several minutes to get it to crank as it sat a couple weeks...

fired up and ran good WATER IS FLYING OUT THE PEE HOLE GREATLY.....AND THE STREAM NEVER GOT ANY WERE NEAR WARM AFTER 8-10 MINUTES OF RUNNING..

THANKS FOR EVERY ONES HELP IN THIS THREAD AND THE OTHER THREAD......

THANKS I BOATS;)

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a FYI, that "hole" is where a tab located the cup in the housing so it doesn't spin.