Water Pressure

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was wondering what the water pressure should be on my 2000 J130PLSS 130 Johnson.<br />At idle it stays around 5-10psi. At WOT 6,100rpm<br />it reads off the scale. My Pressure guage only goes to 30psi and it looks as if it reads some where around 60psi on the guage. And i just noticed after putting it in the water for the first time this year my pressure guage makes a hissing noise. Everything runs fine, i was just wondering if there is a pressure regulator that was stuck or something. The pressure guage is tied into the block where the owners manual tells you to tie into it.<br />--Hop

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Water Pressure

Your pressure numbers are correct, as to the hissing noise from the guage! I don't know. What make of guage is it? If it's an air leak at the guage, the hiss should turn into a stream of water.

ob

Admiral

Excess of pressure buildup ,assuming the guage is working properly may be due to T\stat bypass assy.sticking and not opening fully at higher rpm.If the T\stats have not been replaced on this 2000 model engine ,they are due.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They are the stock T-stats. I bought the boat second hand last spring. It still had the original spark plus in it! It has very low hours so i didn't think about the t-stats.<br />Do they make stats for saltwater use? Like stainless steel or anything? Also what benifit would it be to switch to a deferent temp stat? In my truck i run a 180* instead of the 195* to keep it from pinging and it gives it a little more power in the summer time when the temp gets above 90.<br />I'm not sure as to what brand the guage is. They were supplied with the boat from the factory. It's a Gulf coast 180 Manufactured here in houston. I don't think the gauge is leaking any water because i ran a good 3 hours and the bilge was dry. Thanks For the help, Hop

ob

Admiral

The T\stat design on your outboard is significantly different from the one in your auto as it has a spring loaded pressure bypass feature incorporated into it.The factory T\stats are compatible with saltwater applications,however require periodic changing because of the nature of the application.Verify that guage is working by either removing it and having it tested or replacing it along with replacing the T\stat assys.The factory temp settings are designed for quick warmup of your engine and its temp range is pressure bypassed when your engine is at higher rpms.<br /><br />I'm still trying to figure out how you guys good ears can hear a hissing noise from a pressure guage while the engine is running and I can't hear my wife hollering stuff from in front of the console at me.As soon as the tach hits 6000 ,it seems she's always got something to say.I just don't know what it is. :D

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys good ears can hear a hissing noise from a pressure gauge while the engine is running and I can't hear my wife hollering stuff from in front of the console at me.As soon as the tach hits 6000 ,it seems she's always got something to say.I just don't know what it is.
OB, <br />It's called selective hearing!! :D <br />The lil lady was out on the water with me when I heard it. She was standing behind me trying to get out of the wind. That and she had a death grip on me. First time out on the boat for her and something about WOT made her shut up and hang on! <br /> :rolleyes: <br />I'll see about pulling those t-stats and getting new ones. If I remember right I pulled them completely out of a '85 115 rude I had. Running in south Texas with water temps in the uppers 80's, I didn't see the need for them. Are these newer engines more temperamental?

ob

Admiral

Removing them altogether has a couple of disadvantages.One being is that the engine will not warm as quickly and operate at the designed block and cylinder temps,and the other worst case is without the flow restricting properties of the T\stat assys.,the engine water jackets don't have the proper squeeze of pressure that allows for efficient heat exchange.More volume without them ,but less pressure.I'd replace them with new ones if it were mine.Good luck,and tell us what you find.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Ob's right about leaving the 'stats in (not that he needs verifying). Leaving them out invites cold running, stuck rings and then a rebuild.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty