Water Pressure Gauge

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman
I bought a water pressure gauge to add to my '96 Johnson 90hp. It came with several fittings to tap into the water system in the motor, but no hose. What type and size hose should I use for this? Also, does anybody know the best place to connect this under the cowl? Thanks!

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water Pressure Gauge

If it's a teleflex gauge, read the instructions carefully. I found them to be pretty straight forward for the two WP gauges I've installed - one on a '80s V6 cross flow and one on a '90s V6 looper.

Sometimes you simply "T" it into the tell tale, sometimes you have to tap in or replace a piece of hardware for the WP tube connection, sometimes you have to T into a differnt line in the water flow system, but again, the teleflex instructions are pretty clear on it. FWIW, you can also find these instructions on the teleflex website.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Keep in mind if you just "T" into your line the gauge will be reading about half the actual WP :rolleyes:

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a water pressure gauge to add to my '96 Johnson 90hp. It came with several fittings to tap into the water system in the motor, but no hose. What type and size hose should I use for this? Also, does anybody know the best place to connect this under the cowl? Thanks!

on my 1989 120 Johnson i didnt have to drill anything... i had to unhook one of the hoses connecting to the tell tale and gauge was ready to go....

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. What type of line (hose) did you use to connect the gauge to the motor? I have a roll of speedometer hose I was thinking to use.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. What type of line (hose) did you use to connect the gauge to the motor? I have a roll of speedometer hose I was thinking to use.

hose camed with the gauge.... i think was 1/8".... as long as its as big as the fitting on the gauge you should be fine

WestPoint

Seaman

I have an Evinrude 90HP and I used the same hose as the speedometer. Just curious- which gauge did you use: 0 - 15 or 0 - 30 PSI. I found the 0 - 15 works best because the 0 - 30 doesn't show much when you are going slow and just in gear- the most likely time weeds seemed to get caught on the water intakes.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The speedo hose should be fine.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

I have an Evinrude 90HP and I used the same hose as the speedometer. Just curious- which gauge did you use: 0 - 15 or 0 - 30 PSI. I found the 0 - 15 works best because the 0 - 30 doesn't show much when you are going slow and just in gear- the most likely time weeds seemed to get caught on the water intakes.

on my 120 @ WOT 20PSI and aprox 5 at idle.. unless you know for sure the press at WOT i below 15 get t if not get the 30.. better safe than sorry

its shows plenty when in gear or idle.... it always bouces around in idle.... its solid at higher rpms

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

The speedo hose should be fine.

I forgot about this part of the OP question! And it is actually something I could have answered authoritatively like ezeke (rare for me).

My WP gauge came with a tube, but it wasn't long enough. So I went to the local industrial supply place that sells all sorts of hoses, tubes and other products (a place I frequent, but probably listed under "hose" in the yellow pages). I just showed them a piece of what came with the gauge and the fitting, and they sold me what I needed for very cheap/foot. It was similar, but not exactly like the tubing that came with the gauge, the inner diameter being the critical dimension, not the outer. So if the speedo tubing doesn't work out, anything that fits that fitting should work. It shouldn't be too ... what's the word.... thin and/or stretchy because you don't want it to stretch when the air pressure goes into it, but transmit the pressure accurately. Less flexible than rubber, kind of "stiffer", but bendable enough to make smooth, non kinked corners where it needs to in your particular setup.