Water pocket cover- replace or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Beauty

Recruit
I've been hustling to get the boat ready for the water (not sure why with the terrible weather!), and finally got around to replacing my impeller and pump housing in my R/MR/Alpha one drive. I've had the boat for two seasons now, but haven't had the drive apart before.
The impeller looks to be in great shape, but I'm replacing it and the housing anyway. The problem I have is that the water pocket cover has melting in several spots on the surface. I was able to get a new seal ring and tube in to check for water leaks. I plugged the copper tube and filled the water cavity on the upper housing up. Unfortunately the gasket of the water pocket cover has a small leak. It's just dripping slightly- if I fill the cavity up with water the level of water decreases by about 1/2" a minute.
I'm really hesitant to start unbolting the old cover, as I've read a bunch of horror stories about the bolts snapping off and ruining the entire upper housing.
Does anyone know the impact of a small leak like I'm experiencing? My boat has run great, no overheating. I changed the drive lube in the fall and saw no evidence of water intrusion. I'm tempted to let sleeping dogs lie, but don't want to compound the issue either.
Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

Andrew
1984 Four Winns 225 Sundowner
Mercruiser 228 (305 V8, R/MR/Alpha One)

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Water pocket cover- replace or not?

leaking is not good, and melting is not good either

if you can heat the bolts that is the best way to ensure they remove easily

wrench 3

Commander

leaking is not good, and melting is not good either

if you can heat the bolts that is the best way to ensure they remove easily

Heat them, let them cool, hit them with a hammer and then try to remove.

Vintage Beauty

Recruit

Thank you both for the tip. Is there anything in particular to watch out for when heating the bolts? Will heating with a torch work?

I'm glad I decided to replace the pump. I didn't find any issues with it in particular, but I found this water pocket cover issue, and found that my rear upper gear seals are leaking drive lube into the bellows. Should have pulled the outdrive last fall when I winterized and had a bit more time to address all these issues (not that this winter was very appealing to work in my unheated barn!)

Thanks again!

dubs283

Vice Admiral

standard propane torch will work, heat the bolt heads for 20 - 30 sec, dont worry about melting the water pocket cover, its replacable - just mind the seal(s) for the driveshaft

wrench 3

Commander

Whatever heat you can get on them will help.
Ditto on the cold winter, I pulled my drive off in the fall and just picked up the new parts yesterday.

ziggy

Admiral

no overheating. I changed the drive lube in the fall and saw no evidence of water intrusion. I'm tempted to let sleeping dogs lie,
imho, i think i'd let the sleeping dog lie. if ya do start to overheat, you'll no where to look.
i removed the water pocket cover on my last boat. an overheat had melted mine worse than yours sounds. mine leaked a lot. the bolts are 1/4x20 stainless steel (which break pretty easy too) mounted in cast aluminum. i broke off 3 of mine. it was the worst broke bolt job i ever did. i did manage to save the upper but it took me a week of work to get tools needed + do the actual drilling. and i've never drilled anything so hard as them ss bolts were either. ya get one chance to go straight down the bolt. stray off center and get into the cast alum. and it's all over. i ended up doing heli coils on all 4. best i know i was successful, however the boat only last a few more outings prior to discovering that my boat was toast. needed the whole thing rebuilt. i went to a different boat.

Vintage Beauty

Recruit
Just an update- the cover came off without a problem! Soaked the bolts for a day with PB blaster. Applied a little heat and they came out without any major effort! Whew- that was a relief! Everything is done now- new water pocket cover and tube, new water pump, new anodes, replaced upper drive shaft seals. Now to finish a few more minor items on the checklist and get on the water! Too bad the big lake is only 44 degrees right now :(

Jakem

Ensign
I have my lower off and looked up at water pocket housing and this is what I saw . To me it does not look right..is this normal?

Attachments

• 20210913_083229.jpg
    20210913_083229.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.