water pickup screens

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice
How hard is it to replace the water pickup screens on an OMC gearcase?? 150 HP V6

Looks like you get to them thru the driveshaft/impellor on the top...looks like a pain...

I've got one manked up and keep drawing in crud when I'm in the shallows chasing bait.

Tips appreciated

elhombre

Seaman
Re: water pickup screens

deviljohn, I just replaced the screens on my '90 150 johnson. Mine went in and came out thru the top of the lower unit. do it while the lower units off for a water pump. they snap into place, no fasteners involved.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We're assuming you have an internal screen gearcase, right?

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice

Yessir, screens are internal....OMC p/n 0321123 for the original, maybe should have mentioned a) it's 1994 150GLERA model 20" shaft b) not original gearcase as it's been mod'ed by grinding top of shaft at splines as well as the area below the splines...i'm guessing it may be off a 175-200 hp model. Looks like one may need to remove the impeller base plate to get access to the screens...

believe there is also a philips screw that holds the screen in place on the starboard side.....I'll figure it out this winter as that's when I may pull the gearcase again and do the pump.....I had a previous post regarding a "mystery" crack in this gearcase:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=276234

Impeller looked pretty tip top upon last inspection...

For now I just keep an eye on it and a sparkplug socket handy so I can clean out the tell-tale if I get up in the pluff mud.

PS: Dhadley, i finally resolved a low/mid sputter cough issue by very carefully going thru the carbs (again) and those pesky teeny weeny low/mid orifices in the intake/throttle body manifold....motor's running fine now....on my 18ft Mckee I liken it to a "Pit Bull on a leash"

Been fun and educational diving into a larger 6-cyl outboard as I didn't have much experience with larger engines...now I could rebuild and dial-in those carbs w/ a 3/8th socket, philips and leave the manual on the shelf...

for those interested in a first time monster boat refurb, see my site at:

http://www.deviljohn.net/

Thanks

JD

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Please don't touch the phillips head screw. It has nothing to do with the screen.

Yes, the impeller plate and the rest of the water pump have to be removed. The screen then just snaps into place.

You will probably break the old screen trying to lift it out as they get brittle, but it does not matter.

Before you snap in the new one, clean the drainhole at the bottom of the cavity. Also, note that the screen is wider at the top than at the bottom and can only fit that way.