water over the transom problem

fowl intent

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Tracker 16' (1987) v-hull I use for duck hunting and fishing. I mounted a 2000 Johnson 35 hp long shaft, tiller steer approx. a year ago, and I have noticed that at high speed water will sometimes come in over the transom. The water seems to be deflecting off of the outboard shaft with enough force to climb up and over the transom. It is not a major problem, as I have a manual bilge pump, but it sure is a pain. The motor seems to be mounted at the proper height, and I have played around with the tilt angle, but nothing seems to remedy this. I have thought about making an aluminum plate to attach to the transom which would have a bend or flare to throw the water off the transom. Any better ideas?

KenOhki

Seaman
Re: water over the transom problem

Sounds to me you are experiencing what happens when you mount a long shaft motor to a boat that wants a short shaft. You sure the motor is mounted at the right hight? Ie: anti cavitation plate is within 1 inch of the bottom of the boat.

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

same thing happens to me move your motor up!!

fowl intent

Seaman Apprentice

The boat has a 20" transom, so the long shaft is right. The cavitation plate is flush with the keel. I have considered that the motor might need to be raised an inch or so due to the angle of the transom, but don't know if that could be the cause of the problem or not. Thanks for your thoughts....

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you need to watch where the water splashing from. have someone else drive and you look to see how far you motor is in the water a wot if it is to low you will see it then. mine was hitting the steering hinge and splashing back in. yours may be doing the same if it is raise the motor as high as you can safely it should solve the problem

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

got a lot of weight in the stern? is bow too high<br />when on plane? re-distibute weight to bow then...<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.