water out of idle reliefs?And running temp?

albertaborn

Cadet
i have an older 7.5 merc outboard and in the wake of troubleshouting water flow issues noticed more water comes out of the releifs then the pee hose.ie took off lower half blew compressed air up tube(w no thermostat) and 75% comes out releifs.does this sound right? Maybe now i could beleive my pump dont output enough to make it come out of the pee hose. with a the lower half in a barrel and a drill on the shaft( yes drill rpm lower) water shoots out about 2 to 3 inches out of tube. Next question anyone know the running temp for this thing? ****serial # 7155910*****

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: water out of idle reliefs?And running temp?

Sounds normal to me. The telltale is only there as an indicator that water is circulating thru the system, nothing more. The majority of water (and exhaust gases) exit through the prop hub exhaust port. When at idle, water and exhaust exit through the relief ports because of back pressure on the prop hub exhaust port.

What is the water flow issue you are troubleshooting? When in doubt, it is always a good practice to replace the waterpump impeller. Better safe than sorry.

albertaborn

Cadet

ive changed the impeller, but still nothing out of the pee hole with or without the thermostat.i know the keyway is good on the impeller. i am at the point where ive taken the power head off and the lower end off and replaced all gaskets and grommets etc and still no water out of the pee hole.

i am also canadian go canada go

Moody Blue

Captain

So you have water exiting the exhaust relief ports?

Have you cleaned out the telltale hose? On more than one occasion I have had insects (mud dawber wasps especially) plug the hose up solid.

A piece of weed trimmer string works well for clearing out the hose. Give it a try.

albertaborn

Cadet

ive checked the hole with compressed air and run weed eater cord through the entire water jacket.when i said exhaust reliefs i was talking about a couple hole on the bottom of the powerhead which are tied into the water jacket. what was noticing was more water seeming to exit here easier then going the long way out through the tell tale.you wouldnt know what sort of running temp this thing should prob run at?