Water/Oil spraying out Exhaust Evinrude

Jimbo 2962

Recruit
Hi friends, Merry Christmas. Unfortunatly I noticed water and oil spraying out the exhaust on my 120 hp Evinrude. It has been running rough at low speed (like fouled plug) but fine at high speed. This power head rebuilt 50 hrs. Will take a compression test today. Any ideas of what the problem may be?<br />Thanks Jim

C Hawk

Cadet
Re: Water/Oil spraying out Exhaust Evinrude

I would re-torque head bolts,and if that didn't work I would check head gasket.<br /><br /> C Hawk

Jimbo 2962

Recruit

Thanks CHawk. Did compression check. Cyl 1-130, #2-129, #3-130, #4-132. That would indicate Head gasket good..right?<br />Jim

C Hawk

Cadet

I would check compression with hot motor. I had motor with crack in cylinder wall showed good compression cold. Hope it's not that.<br /> C Hawk

Jimbo 2962

Recruit

C Hawk, I ran the motor for about 3 min.. before doing compression check. At least it was warm. The motor has finished DOUBLE oil break-in awhile back (rebuilt power head). Could it be from ac***alation of oil or or a high concentration of oil still in tank. The motor has a VRO. Have been told to check that.

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello Jimbo;<br />I think the engine you have is a thirsty one.<br />If it is a 90* V-4 Looper, I guess I am not all that surprised with a little oil & fuel comming from the exhaust into the water. I will assume this is the type engine you have in my comments.<br />4 carbs, very fickle, not all that easy to dial in. <br />First, clean the grounds to each of your coils, make sure they are making a solid contact. Test the engine before doing anything else. A bad ground could cause intermitant fire to one or more cylinders creating your problem.<br />If the problem still exists;<br />Look for a differance in one of the plugs, you may need to make a slight adjustment to the carb that feeds that cylinder only. Each carb should have it's own low speed needle. Each carb low speed needle adjustment may not end up being exactly the same. (should be close but not nessisarally exact) make minor adjustsments, retest engine, use a bit of paitence and don't do anything radical.<br />Your compression sounds good, I believe your problem is minor.<br />Good Luck, Rob

Jimbo 2962

Recruit

Thanks Rob. I have contacted a mechanic. When he comes by I will mention these things to him and let you know the results.<br />Jim