Water leaks from 3.0 OMC bell housing...anyone have any ideas?

Hello again,<br /><br />I was afraid that my post got buried...so here's it is once again. Sorry if I'm being a squeeky wheel.<br /><br />I have a 1985 OMC 140 (3.0L inline 4, non-cobra) I/O in a 19' Bayliner Cuddy. The boat and motor have been sitting idle for about the last 4 years. It has altogether less than 150 hours since new (I'm the original owner). It has a raw water cooling system. When I finally brought it out of mothball, I'd tuned it up, and she runs like a top, except now there's a steady stream of water that runs out of the little hole at the bottom the bell housing cover plate into the bilge. It's not shooting out of there, but it's a pretty good trickle. There's no sign of water in the crank case oil, nor in the intermediate housing, or the gear cases. Also, I've checked to see if there were any water leaks from the exhaust manifold, hoses, freeze plugs, drain plugs, or the manifold rubber coupling to the bell housing/intermediate housing -there were none. Everything above the bottom half of the bell housing appears to be dry. Is there a freeze plug at the end of the block hidden under the bell housing? If anyone has any ideas or experience with this sort thing, I will appreciated it greatly. It would be a real pain to have to pull the engine, especially if it turns out to be a simple fix.<br /><br />Many thanks.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Water leaks from 3.0 OMC bell housing...anyone have any ideas?

The seal for the ball gears is likely to blame. You will want to change this quickly as it is probebly doing damage to the driveshaft brg's.<br /><br />TMD

Just a little update...<br /><br />When I was getting some parts to fix the tilt drive, I spoke with an OMC mechanic regarding my water leak situation. He mentioned that there should be another freeze plug (1 or 2)at the tail end of the engine block, but in order to inspect it I will have to pull the engine out, or at least take the stern drive and intermediate housing off to get to the bell housing. Guess what I'll be doing for the next week or so. This is so reminiscence of my days of owning an AMF Harley Davidson FLH! I'd spend more time wrenching on that hawg, than riding it! :)<br /><br />Happy boating everyone.

Just a follow up on my situation...<br /><br />I finally pulled the engine out of the boat (just finished 10 minutes ago). Much to my pleasant surprise (all things being relative that is), the water leak is from a freeze plug (right behind the flywheel at the 12:00 o'clock position - top half of which is exposed and accessible) having been partially pushed out (guess I'll drain the block better next time). Fortunately it wasn't a cracked block. My thanks to all who have provided me with their insights and suggestions.<br /><br />Note: Good thing that I had pulled the engine, since the wooden shims/blocks the engine was mounted on are rotting, and some of the lag bolts are badly bent, including one that was broken. Now the fun begins!<br /><br />Happy boating everybody.