water leaking out of bilge from outdrive when on trailer

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just had new ujoints installed on my 1990 Mach 1 that has a 4.3 Mercruiser. When in the water, I run the bilge about every 45 minutes and it runs for about a minute. The last time I brought my boat on the trailer, I left the plug and bilge water in the boat and backed my trailer on a steep incline. I noticed that water was leaking out of the boat at the bottom of the outdrive where it meets the transom.<br /><br />1. Can this cause damage to motor?<br />2. Should I deal with the leak a couple more times and get it fixed when the season is over?<br />3. Can I use marine sealant to seal outdrive housing to transom to stop water from getting in?<br /><br />Yes, I am new to boating. Thanks again.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: water leaking out of bilge from outdrive when on trailer

1. Motor - no Transome if wooden - yes<br />2. yes<br />3. you could try it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Zoom, If you plan to trailer the boat you can prpbably fix it at the end of the season. However, if the leak is in the outdrive to transom plate connection, it will only take 1/2 hour to pull the drive, replace the gaskets and install the drive.<br /><br />If you leave the boat in the water, you should pull it and repair so it won't get worse and sink you!

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hate to jump in on this question, but I have this same issue, am a newbie and was going to have bellows and gaskets replaced on the offseason. <br /> <br />QUestion: How difficult is it to "pull the drive" I can't see where it bolts to/from. OMC 5.0 with Cobra

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

murphini, there are six bolts outside and off comes the drive.<br /><br />zoom50, I just repaired a leak of where you describe, between the outside transom and gimbal housing. I put some silicone and retightened the bolts inside on the transom (of which there are six). These bolts work themselves loose over time and need to be tightened. I'd try this method before attempting to take off the gimbal housing because two of the six bolts in the center are near impossible to get to...on my cobra 3.0 anyways. Your V6 may be easier.

duffler2000

Cadet

my mercruiser leaks as well. ive tried the marine sealant over marine epoxy stick but it doesnt hold, it keeps cracking out. i think im going to put up with mine until it starts getting cold then replace all the gaskets and everything. good luck zoom50

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Advice to others with this leak.If its the transom gasket itself,sealer will not really fix the problem. The housing need to be removed and a new gasket put in. Left alone it will rot the tramsom wood.You can also have a similiar looking leak from the plate the has the trim lines attached to it.<br />If it leaks into the boat but not out, suspect a drive mounting gasket or the bellows.This eats up a gimbal bearing real quick not to mention the U joints.

Capt Ken

Commander

Well first, the inner transom bolts don't work themselves loose. The transom would have to compress in order for the bolts to become loose. The problem here is the wood inside the transom is soft/rotten and can no longer support the thrust of the outdrive. Raise the drive and have someone watch the transom as you put your weight on the drive trying to push it down. They will notice it flexing. The only repair is to pull everything out of the boat and have the transom rebuilt. The water leak isn't the problem, its the result of the problem.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I had the same problem on my boat - a 1988 Sportcraft with an alpha 1 and new 5.7 liter engine. I put up with it for awhile and noticed the bilge pump would come on frequently, but didn't give it too much thought... until the automatic switch failed! :eek: Fortunately I was on my way in from nearly 25 miles offshore and just got back into the inlet when the engine sputtered and died - engine compartment full of water. I too had tried fixing the problem with some 5200 around the gimbal housing, but it didn't work.<br /><br />I ended up pulling the entire outdrive off and having to have the transom rebuilt. Everything works fine now, but you definately want to fix it right soon, or be ready to be towed in.... if you're lucky. ;)

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the great advice...I am going to try and get a couple more weeks of boating in before winter...Have we had a summer in the northeast...I am thinking of trading the boat in for a snowmobile.