water leak from exhaust hose

2001 MerCruiser v8 5.0L engine, alpha 1 gen 2 sterndrive

I recently replaced the water shutters in the exhaust pipe. Then when I was running the boat I noticed that there was a little bit of water leaking out from the Exhaust Hose onto the Exhaust Pipe. In the picture below the green arrow is pointing to the water stain it left behind. I tightened up the clamps and the leak stopped.

My question is why would water be leaking from this area in the first place? Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• ForWeb.JPG
    ForWeb.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 0

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: water leak from exhaust hose

You're fine. The engine cooling water and exhaust combine after your manifold riser to keep exhaust temperatures down as it exits the lower unit. Probably just the loose clamp.

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where do you purchase the clamps with the rubber tips?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those rubber caps are sold seperatly.
The Merc PN is 8079923

Glad to hear it's not an issue. For a second there I thought that hole in the water was getting deeper. Although I'm not out of the water yet... heh couldn't resist. Now I've noticed what might be a knocking noise. I'm not a mechanic by trade or practice and this is the first time I've really paid close attention to my engine, so I could be imagining the noise. My buddy is bringing over a timing light and a trained set of ears so we can dig in deeper.

Those rubber tips were there when I bought the boat last year.