water jacket gasket question

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
I just want to be sure on this. When installing the cylinder cover and gasket do I use a sealant or put the gasket on dry. Thanks.

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water jacket gasket question

Sorry , I didnt think I would need to put that. It is a 1966 Mercury 65hp 4cyl.

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, but I would like a second opinion before I start. Can anybody tell me what kind of gasket sealent to use. Is it a special marine one or can I pick it up at Autozone. Thanx

clanton

Rear Admiral

Permatex aviation form-a-gasket, brush in can,

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

Where can I get this?

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you mean by cylinder cover? Head gasket?

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

This engine does not have a head. Its the plate that the plugs screw into. My manual refers to it as the cylinder cover. I am told the gasket behind it is the water jacket gasket. I am replacing it and need to know how.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the spark plugs screw into it, it is essentially the head, no matter what the book calls it. It usually is a black cardboard type gasket, and it has metal rings where the cylinders holes are, and sometimes other metal around the edge. Do not use any sealer on this gasket. It compresses when you torque it down, and be sure to follow the torqueing sequence which should be in you book. Also, this gasket is a one time use gasket b/c it compresses. Hope this helps.

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

The gasket is black but not metal anywhere. Looks just like the old one though. Does anybody else agree with kev. I also have another question. What do I use to clean the surfaces before putting the gasket and cover on.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am still 99% positive that it is a head gasket, but on the older engines, they might be made different. Permatex makes a gasket remover, but be carefull not to get in the water jackets or cylinders. Some really fine grit sandpaper, 1000 or so and a putty knife have always worked good for me. GL

adrian bick

Seaman

This motor DOES NOT HAVE A HEAD GASKET it is a water cover gasket!!!!!! . If surfaces are flat a thin smear of any gasket cement will do the trick . Torque the screw to 80 inch lbs.