Water inside motor!!!

A buddy of mine just bought a Mark twain almost like mine it has the same 165hp Mercruiser motor that mine has. The guy that he bought it from left it outside in the weather all last year and this year. My buddy wanted to know if rain could go down the exhaust and into the engine. He went to change to oil and it looked like a fresh cup of coffee with extra creamer. Haha. Let me know what yall think so I can let my buddy Mike know. Thanks

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water inside motor!!!

Seems to me the exhaust riser would kind of prevent rain from falling into the exhaust, I guess I could see rain water going down the carburetor.

My 165 had that crankcase milkshake when I got it and there were multiple cracks throughout the block, drained like 2 gallons of water + the engine oil when I swapped the engine.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If that happened it wouldn't look like coffee with cream!!

The water would simply sink to the bottom and when the crankcase filled far enough the oil would start coming out of the breather etc....

That engine has been RUN with water in it.

He needs to drain the oil, run it and change it a couple of times to get all the water out of it. (Some people suggest putting a quart of diesel fuel in the oil to thin it out. it emulsifies the water and allows it to be drained out easier.)

My money is on a cracked head or block....

Regards,

Rick

Right on thanks guys. He's gonna be mad about it but I will let him know. Thanks again.

Well I just talked to my buddy Mike and he wanted me to ask yall. What is the possibility that it's just a blown head gasket? Thanks

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldnt bet on a head gasket. Tear the risers off and exhaust amnifold and look for crackes in them and the block bet you find one.

Bondo

Staff member

What is the possibility that it's just a blown head gasket?

Ayuh,... About 1%...