water in U-J bellow (alpha 2)

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class
foudn water and sludge (mixture of water and grease or oil) in the bellow. bellow appears in good conditin, clamps tight, U-joint in good condition...no pittting or rust). how would water get in there? what should i do next?

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water in U-J bellow (alpha 2)

What make model and year?

Water intrusion could be through a faulty gasket between the outdrive and the bellhousing or past the o ring round the water passage (if Mercruiser).

Are you sure the bellows are in good condition? Just a pinhole sized crack which maybe only visible when the bellows are bent (prop trimmed all the way up) is enough to let water in and pretty impossible to see. How old are the bellows?

I guess your next move is to remove the old bellows, clean everything up and replace with new, and do the shift cable and exhaust bellows while you're at it.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

could be a hole in the bellows

large amount of water in the bilge above the driveshaft can get into the bellows

could be the yoke seal has gone bad and is forcing oil into the bellows

best to pressure test the drive while you got it off

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the boats a 1991. not sure how old the bellows are but my guess, original. boats been stored indoors so bellows are still flexible. tried shinning light all around to locate a hole...but not apparent. . ill pressure test the od replace all the bellows and gaskets. anything else?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

the boats a 1991

If they are actually the original bellows, then you dodged a bullet. Let's see - that makes them almost 20 years old. Yeah, I would say it is time to replace them. :rolleyes: :D

Check the condition of the gimbal bearing while you have the outdrive off.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Also - be sure to check the engine alignment while you have the outdrive off as well. A lot can happen in 20 years. If you don't have an alignment tool, go ahead and buy one (pretty cheap on ebay). You will use it more than once.

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust bellows.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

does anyone know wher to get the manual for changing drive shaft bellows?