water in tranny fluid

loghomer

Seaman
1976 searay, 350 chevy. Started it in my driveway today(first time this year) started great after 3-4 minutes I saw red fluid coming out of bilge area. seems that tranny fluid is pushing out of dip stick., and it seems milky like water is mixing in. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen. Thanx

loghomer

Seaman
Re: water in tranny fluid

OK thats sounds interesting, where would the oil cooler be, and what does it look like? Is this a job for a sunday mechanic or a pro?

tommays

Admiral

you have a shaftdrive boat and not outdrive? just want to be sure were not talking about power stering<br /><br />when you were winterized its can be easy to leave water in the cooler and freeze it, they also can just corride away after 30 years<br /><br />eather way the most inportant thing is to get clean fluid into what ever got the water before anything gets water damage<br /><br />tommays

tommays

Admiral

so then were talking about the power stearing ? with the pump up on the front of the motor?<br /><br />tommays

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

There also could be a cooler where the seawater feeds from the transom to the engine. On my '83 it was on starboard side under exaust manifold.....J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is item 3 the dipstick that the tranny fluid is coming out of? (see first picture)<br />If so, item 17 (in the second picture) is the cooler with the problem.<br /><br />
65969624.gif
<br /><br />
7262920.gif

loghomer

Seaman

no, thanks for the diagrams though!!!Its from the dipstick by the transom

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So, what do you have back there? Mercruiser made all kinds of setups, and you are going to have to tell us what you have. Being a Searay means nothing, we need to know what outdrive you have.<br />Alpha I, TR? Sounds like a TR and there is a transmission inside the boat.<br />Got some pictures you can post???

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

the cooler is mounted inside transmission<br />look for 2 water hoses going to transmission thats the cooler<br />remove and inspect it if cracked replace with a new one

weatherz

Seaman

Not to change the subject, but Don, it is a real pleasure to have u back. I didn't want to continue the other post, it's time for that one to die.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

This what ya got in there, Loghomer?<br />
watermark.php
<br />If so, the item with the four hoses you see in the foreground of the pic... That is the cooler..<br /><br />Water in the trans is the bigger problem here... Water and clutch material don't particulary go good together..