water in Pre-alpha!

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice
hello!

today i drove my shakespeare home to the garage, this season is over, its getting cold up here in north, so it was about time.

did the boat and engine ready for the winter, drained it, changed oil ( was still like new, overhauled engine last winter, aprox 20-25hours on it ), and was getting back to the drive. decided to change the oil in that too, so there was no traces of water in there... BUT when i opened the plug in the bottom it just came water out.... a bit thick waterfilled oil to the end, but not much...

so, i pulled the drive off, but havent done more. is just a pressure test the best way to find the leak? stange, have not seen any oil-trace behind the boat...

can not say i look forward to open it, if it has contained seawater for a while, it should look like **** in there...

Stig, from up in Norway!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in Pre-alpha!

What did you find in the bellows? Water? Oil? mixture of both?

You probably wouldn't see an oil trace behind the boat. Between the exhaust bubbles and the prop wash, it would be impossible to see a couple of drops of oil.

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

have been offshore on work, today i made a pressure test tool, but i didnt need a gauge, it seems like its leaking in the lower seal where the axle goes thru the exhaust channel.

there where water in the driveshaft bellow, the bellow seems in good condition, but the seal at the top didnt leak, so i guess the water have to come from the bellow..

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

some pics

Attachments

• 29102010355.jpg
    29102010355.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 29102010356.jpg
    29102010356.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

removed the lower gearhousing from the upper, and pressure tested the lower part, and found it too be good, the o-ring between the two parts was a little bad, so i guess it was the fault! cleaned the upper and lower gearhousings inside, doesent look bad at all, i think its all good!

still does not quite know why there was water in the bellow for the driveshaft, the bellow is in good condition.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Water could be coming in thru the shift shaft rubber seal. Hot exhaust gasses and cooling water can pass thru a warn rubber seal into the drive shaft bellows. Mercruiser has a newer style that is supposed to have a better seal.

45518t1.jpg

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

thats a good tip! i really didnt know there was a rubber sealing there! i doubth that there is a sealing there, it feels really loose and with a bit side-play!

thanks!!

Here is a photo from Fishermark with his shift shaft bushing/seals replaced.

Notice how much longer the upper brass bushing extends into the exhaust cavity. The redesigned seal is a better set up than the older version.

I did mine this spring also. They can let water into areas that shouldn't have it including that shift cable area.

If water gets in there it won't be long for a replacement too.

Attachments

• inside bellhousing Fishermark- picture.jpg
    inside bellhousing Fishermark- picture.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 0

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

thanks!

where can i get this new seals?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The shift shaft bushings will not cause water to get into the bellows, the big rubber ring is what seals up between the drive and bellows. You really need to replace the bellows, you may not see the hole, but there is one. You also need a new gimbal bearing, ujoints and the most important part, a new input shaft seal and possibly the yoke that the seal rides on. Or you will leak oil out of the drive and into the bellows, it has already happened.

You can get them from anywhere Mercruiser parts are sold.

Iboats has em too:
http://www.iboats.com/Bell-Housing-...5953756--**********.492831273--view_id.172463

You may have to replace the shift arm as well. There is a small set screw that holds that shift arm on the shaft. The screw can be tough to remove. Someone on here mentioned using a chisel and crack the shift arm off the shaft. I got mine off using penetrating oil and heat but replaced it anyways:

http://www.iboats.com/Mallory-Shift...5953756--**********.492831273--view_id.364178

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

thanks!

then those parts are ordered, and on the long way up here in the north!

great! :D