Water in outdrive

jimmmy

Seaman
Pulled my 1988 3.0 litre mercuiser out of the water today and went to drain and change the gear lube on the outdrive. In past years had a local mechanic come to the cottage to winterize, but he moved to Newfoundland!! (maybe that says it all!!) Noticed the vent plug was missing and most likely had been since we put it in in the spring. Drained the oil out to find about a cup of milky mayo looking junk and the rest was water. Oh crap!! Drained for a while, added a 1/2 quart of new lube thru the vent, drained, filled from bottom with new lube to the vent hole. Plan on draining completely in a week or two again and refilling. Any guesses on if I have damage?? Should I have the entire unit taken apart?? Incidently, it ran fine all summer and even this morning!

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water in outdrive

Well, if it does not make any more noise than usual I would think it will be okay. The water that keep it full probably mixed with the lube and keep some film of lube on the upper gears and bearings ---- much better than low on lube, or no lube at all where the gears throw off what little is left and run dry and hot.

Like you stated to run the new lube for a week or so and then drain it again ---> that procedure will get everything lubed up again with no water sitting on the gears and bearings for the winter.

I am sure it is about par with changing a leaking seal that lets water in and then refilling.

OFM