water in oil

mrboat

Cadet
I was on the water and my boat died. '76 silverline comoro, Merc 888 Ford 302. So I checked the oil, and it looked milky. I also had oil in the bilge. thinking my block or head is cracked, i did a compression test. Here were the results:

Cyl 1: 120 psi
Cyl 2: 120 psi
Cyl 3: 120 psi
Cyl 4: 120 psi
Cyl 5: 120 Psi
Cyl 6: 118 Psi
Cyl 7: 125 Psi
Cyl 8: 125 Psi

My service manual says normal compression is 140 Psi, with an acceptable service drop of 20 Psi... So it seems really #6 is the only one a little off, but I am unable to locate where the oil is coming from. valve covers are clean, oil pan looks dry, maybe bad intake manifold gaskets letting water into the cylinders?? I am scratchin my head on this one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in oil

You can have a cracked block that leaks water into the oil, has nothing to do with the cylinder compression. It's leaking water directly into the crankcase, not the cylinders.

mrboat

Cadet

hmm. yeah i see what your sayin. i guess i don't know for sure if there is water in the oil now. i replaced the intake gaskets, changed the oil. I started it and ran in about 20 min. The oil didn't look milky, but it seem to lose about 1/2 qt in 20 min. i think the oil pan might be leaking externally near the rear main seal.

on another note though.. i can't get it to idle. when i start it, i have to keep tapping the throttle to keep it goin. i can hold it at about 1500 rpm steady, but when i let off it dies. i don't think my electronic choke is working. it never moves, and just sits full open. if i mess with the choke and hold it, i can get it to run better.. so i dunno. it is a piece of crap.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might need to adjust the fuel mix screws, or it may be the carb needs a rebuild. If the idle jets are plugged up from varnish and dirt, it won't idle right even with a choke.

mrboat

Cadet

well i confirmed that the oil was coming from the oil pan, and will work on that.

now im on to a carb rebuild!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well i confirmed that the oil was coming from the oil pan, and will work on that.

That's called replacing the oil pan. They can't be fixed.
Might also look at the timing chain cover, if it's rusty, replace it to, while the engine is out.
Oh, BTW, might rebuild the carb too, while the engine is out.