Water in oil (winterizing)

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok... dummy me should had paid for winterization,but wanted to learn myself. To make a long story short,filled intake with anti-freeze.<br />took plugs out and cranked engine to get rid of anti-freeze the best i could, then re-install plugs and started engine. ran about10 min. then fogged engine with marvels mystery oil. Now that i have fogged engine and put anti-freeze where it should be, went to change oil, and you guessed it.. milky oil. I am draining this out. Now my question is. should i put new oil in and hook up muffs and start engine with new oil, run awhile then fogg engine again and do the anti-freeze thing again or just keep draining the oil until it look clean without starting it? Also what kinda damage have i done? Any Advise would be greatly App.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water in oil (winterizing)

If it was me I would go ahead and run it after changing the oil. Then change the oil again. Keep this up until the oil is clean and free of any liquid. <br /><br />If it was antifreeze in oil it would not be as bad as water sitting all winter, but in case you forget in the spring. Get it all cleaned out now so you don't have to worry in the spring.<br /><br />Just my opinion.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Like DD says, change that oil (and filter) a few more times. Anti-freeze is tough on bearings. Them watch for good oil pressure in the spring

malaki mama

Cadet

just wanted to ask.. how long before your winterization did you last check the engine oil? just good to be sure that it wasnt already in there before any of your winterization..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

filled intake with anti-freeze. took plugs out and cranked engine to get rid of anti-freeze the best i could, then re-install plugs and started engine.
What did you do, dump antifreeze down the carb????

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

As Don asked, how did you manage to get the antifreeze inside the engine?<br /><br />you asked - " how long before your winterization did you last check the engine oil? just good to be sure that it wasnt already in there before any of your winterization". <br /><br />Antifreeze is spelled out the first time you start the engine in the spring. And I check my oil every time I make a trip to make sure it's in good condition and that the oil gauge is not giving me a wrong reading as to pressure.

ron7000

Banned

Originally posted by 4poco:<br />filled intake with anti-freeze.<br />took plugs out and cranked engine to get rid of anti-freeze the best i could, then re-install plugs and started engine.
erm-ah.gif
<br /><br />water + oil + combustion by-products (fuel) forms acid and is not good for engine internals, especially to sit over the winter.<br />If you got just water and you're 100% sure no "anti-freeze" then change the oil once + the filter and run it for a few hours to get it nice and warm and burn off remaining moisture in the oil. Then change one last time + the filter, run 5 minutes to distribute fresh oil then shut it down.<br />If you had an antifreeze mixture get into the oil and the antifreeze is ethylene glycol (green auto antifreeze) then you may want to do 1 or 2 quick oil changes to flush it out quick as possible before running a few hours to burn out moisture. Ethylene glycol + oil = very bad, worse than water.<br /><br />Just pick up cheap oil from walmart or auto store for $0.99/qt and cheap filters, save yourself some $$$. Change again early next season with good oil.<br />
itsok.gif

malaki mama

Cadet

Don's question leads into mine.. <br /><br />how did you manage to get it in the engine during winterization? <br /><br />Do you know what you did wrong to make this happen to be positive that it was done during winterization?<br /><br />or <br /><br />if it had been there for some time before.. then just changing the oil would be the least of your concerns.. finding out how it got there would be my worry..

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to answer the question how did i get anti-freeze in oil, well, i pulled a plug on top of what i thought was the exhaust side of the manifold.<br />on the 3.0 liter engine there is a plug on top of the manifold to the right side of carb or looking at engine from front,behind the carb.I know now that it wasnt a water intake.<br /><br />I have changed oil many times now. been running engine for 10 min then draining oil, taking off filter and shaking it out. Done this 3 times.<br />This last go, i filled a clean jar with oil drained to let it sit all night and see if any water. I feel really stupid for doing what i have done, trail and error i guess.<br />Still have about 40 psi oil pressure and temp is running 180,So im hopin no damage done. I will see come morning if i need to continue this process. Thanks guys for all your input, but remember this dogs down, dont kick to hard altho im sure i deserve it.................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Still not sure which plug you used, it doesn't even matter. What you were doing is putting the antifreeze in the wrong place. Dump it in a cooling hose to that location, but before you do you have to drain it first.<br />What you need to do more than anything is get an OEM service manual for your engine BEFORE you do any more preventive maintenance yourself. I really don't think you can afford NOT to get the manual.<br />Let us know what Year, Model, Make, SN, and any other good information about your engine and drive and we can probably help you find the right stuff.<br /><br />Also, if you add some diesel fuel instead of a couple of quarts of oil during your cleaning runs and only run it at idle for a few minutes then change the oil again and do that a couple of times with a new filter, the oil will get cleaner a lot quicker.

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My results are lookin good, my oil sample that i put in jar( last oil change) shows NO water at all. So all better, have learned a real lesson, not to get in a hurry and if you dont know, ask someone who does.<br />I will ask here before i do anymore stupid human stuff. you guys have been a great help!<br /><br />Words of wisdom for sure...........<br /><br />Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it again?<br />Thanks Don

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I would change the filter instead of shakin it out.<br /><br />If nobody mentioned it yet, drain the oil and fill it with deisel fuel. Run it at idle for a few minutes then drain. The fuel will help clean the antifreeze out faster.<br /><br />I have done this to cars that have had sludge buildup. I have drained ALL of the oil then ran it 4 or 5 miles at about 30mph. Then drained and let sit overnight dripping. <br /><br />I would not recommend going with straight deisel fuel for this, maybe 2 quarts oil the rest fuel.<br /><br />If you caught it right away, and drained it right away you will be fine as long as you get it all out now. You have flushed it well, just make sure you get it up to operating temp for 10 minutes or so between oil changes.

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have installed new filter and clean oil, let in run for 30 min. then fogged engine with marvels mystery oil. drained water from block and exhaust manifold. pulled hoses off water pump and filled with -40 anti-freeze. Then pulled drain plugs again. Now im witerized Right? or is there something im missing? Engine done ?