Water in oil, new engine!

CARMINE326

Cadet
I purchased a Ford Reman Marinetek engine it is a 302 V-8 1995 and is setup with a 2 barrel holley carb. Old engine is a volvo penta 1995 302 Ford and all equiptment was transfered to new engine. Problem is that I continually am getting water in the engine. Pulled plugs and manifolds and found that port side is dry and starbord is wet. When I spin it over I can here water trickling down to the pan internally. the only thing that i can think of is head gasket bad, head cracked or intake leaking. All new felpro marine gaskets were used. Any ideas!!! will run a compression test to find out what is going on . Is their something that I am missing! manifolds are in excellent shape and have been checked.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Water in oil, new engine!

Riser gasket or manifold/riser

LubeDude

Admiral

If you had the heads surfaced then there is a chance that you intake isnt seating properly, Im betting on the intake! I feel thats the only way that enough water would be coming in to actually hear it!! :eek:

LubeDude

Admiral

BUMP:<br /><br />Keep us informed as to what you found!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> are you filling the crankcase with oil? are you just getting water in one side? why did you buy a motor? did the old one get water in it as well?<br /> good luck and keep posting

CARMINE326

Cadet

Old motor had overheated due to an impeller going south. Had water in oil, pulled engine and found that number seven and eight is where the head gasket blew. Motor sat for a few months and had surface rust in the lifter valley. Found a reman cheaper than I could of had old motor machined. I am now finding upon building the new motor that water is comming in on the starbord side. Port side is dry when I pull the riser off.<br />Old owner said that he changed one side with new manifold and riser. Due to the nature of the manifolds they both went back on the correct sides. Now as far as the risers are concerned they did not go back on the same side that they came off. I will try swaping the risers and find out if the problem moves to the other side. If so it would tell me if that riser is bad. wouldnt you agree? If the problem does not move than it should indicate that the intake or head is not sealed, warped or cracked.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello <br /> are you getting water in the engine oil pan or just in the cylinders?<br /> careful swapping risers about, if in doubt change them out. but have the manifolds pressure tested as well.<br /> its been a long time since I played with the 302-351 winsors but I remember an issue if the wrong gasket was used at the intake side rails it could leak water from the head crossover to the lifter vally area.<br /> if the water is only in the cylinders cap off all lines running to the manifold/riser area and fill with water to check for head gasket leaks. anyway keep us posted on what is going on maybe someone can be of assistance<br />if it stays dry with no water flow to the manifold you will know its a manifold/riser problem. PS do NOT use silly-cone on the riser manifold joint. that is a guranteed leak.

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

web page <br /><br />Here is a shot of the riser / elbow. If gaskget #5 is bad, water can enter and flow downwards to the exhaust ports below filling the jugs. If its in the pan, (Frothy Milky oil on dipstick)it's the head gaskget or worse, a crack somewhere.

CARMINE326

Cadet

I am getting water in the oil pan. Have new risers on the way. Sounds like it could possibly be the intake is not sealed correctly or cracked. I torqued everything down to specs. Oil is milky. I have changed the risers gaskets a few times to no avail. Like I said this is a new engine that came complete as a long block with pan and valve covers assembled from marinetek. All heads were installed prior to me recieving the engine. Engine has never run more than 2 minutes at a time with fresh oil changed when problem was noticed each time. running on the water it has a miss. Off the water is purs like a kitten.

LubeDude

Admiral

I still really think its your intake, seeing that it has a miss under load even makes me think that more. You may have to have your intake surfaced some. Its common for the rebuilt engine to have had the heads surfaced, and who knows how much.<br /><br />Just so you can understand this, when the heads are surfaced, it allows them to rest slightly lower on the block, this does not allow the intake to settle down into the valley like it should and can cause vacume and water leaks, by sufacing the intake it lets the intake settle down farther and takes care of the problem! There certainly are other things that could cause this though. Good thing you caught it when you did.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I tend to agree with lubedude here. sounds like the wrong gasket was used or the wrong heads for your intake. I cannot remememer all the details but some of the intakes could not be interchanged on the heads. just as not all 302 cranks are alike either an easy test is avalible. cap off all the line running to the manifolds. remove the hose from the t-stat housing that feeds seawater in. make a hose that will fit the fitting and an air valve on the other. use about 10-15 psi air pressuere and you will find that leak.<br /> good luck and keep posting

CARMINE326

Cadet

Hey Rodbolt,<br />Looks like you were right. Took the intake manifold off to change the gasket (not feeling that the kit that was supplied was correct) and found that the gasket that I had used is different than the one I replaced it with. Changed it last night and will wait for the ultra-gray that I used around the water jackets to cure before starting. Lots of rain down here in New Orleans this week. What a damper for all the parades that are begining for the start of Mardi Gras. Will let everybody know the results! Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member

Credit where credit is Due......<br /><br />LubeDude is the Man, with your Answer...... :D <br /><br />Sorry Rodbolt....... ;) <br /><br />Best of Luck..... I think your Problem is Solved.....

LubeDude

Admiral

I hope this is the fix!<br /><br />We all try not to glory too much when we nail a problem, we all get lucky once in a while! What we all try to give is an "educated guess"!<br /><br />Rodbolt did come up with the wrong gasket idea.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I hope that cures it. I got bit on that back in the 70's when doing a valve job on a 351 windsor. found there were a couple that would fit but only one that would work. its kinda like the head gaskets on the 351M/400. both say this side up but if you install them that way it shuts off the cooling water through one head. lucky that one did not bite me cause I read the instructions in the kit:) :) <br /> good luck and keep us posted:)

Trent

Captain

Rodbolt just brought back memories. I will never forget having to go back and pull the heads on that first 351M/400 I did. Darn gaskets marked this side up! RRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: