Water in Oil 2007 VX110

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
An friend of mine bought an ex rental VX110 last spring. It has a boat load of salt water hours on it. Unfortunately, last fall he didn't winterize it, and it got pretty cold here in Pa over the winter. He started the ski yesterday and it has water in the oil. I'm guessing he broke something in the oil cooler, but I'm no expert. Does anyone know what typically breaks when you leave a VX110 unwinterized?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water in Oil 2007 VX110

Does anyone know what typically breaks when you leave a VX110 unwinterized?

Ayuh,... Everything that had water in it, including the Motor...

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you bondo for that tidbit of useless information. No wonder how your post count got so high! I guess I should have been more specific. Does anyone know where the damage usually occurs. I'm guessing its in the oil cooler, but before I tell him to take anything apart, I was hoping to hear from someone who's seen similar damage.

Orlandoace

Recruit

Well, almost a year and no answer. I am going to take mine down to the shop and get it worked on as I have the same issue. Oil looks like chocolate milk, and when I changed the oil, no change in the condition. There must be a leak between the water cooling and the engine...

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most common cause for water in oil is either sinking the ski or improperly running it on the hose. On an older pre-rental ski like the original poster mentioned that hadn't been winterized it could be comining from a failure in a number of places including a worn out/blown head gasket.

Problem is that once you get water in there it is very hard to get it out, since you only remove a little over 1/2 of the oil each oil change with a dry sump oil system. I've seen guys have to change the oil 5-6 times or more to get all the water out.