Water in my Gear Lube! Thoughts?

EL-BATO

Cadet
Hey folks, did the following things to my drive since last fall:

-Winterized Fall '13, took drive off, changed lower shift cable, changed impeller & gaskets, put fresh lube in the drive, changed all o-rings (dipstick, filler and drain) and put new gaskets and bolts of course when I put the drive back on. Took the boat for one last ride before draining block, checked all fluids -ok

-Spring: Sanded, de-greased, primed and re-painted drive. Also rebuilt carb with kit.

Here's what happened last week-end:
1. Motor started and ran like a charm on muffs before first launch
2. fixed leaky gasket under impeller casing (was out of it's groove)
3. Ran boat Sunday, Monday, Tuesday..... ran like a dream! Took it out of the water late Tuesday
4. Did usual fluid checks before putting it away in the garage.
5. Unscrewed dipstick on top of drive and it literally **** on itself and me in the process. Seems like water entered drive and pressure built up somehow. As soon as the plug was out enough, pressure released blowing all kinds of milky gear lube! DARN!

Did a lot of reading and I know it could be a mystery seal somewhere that decided to go. I know I have to pressure and vac test the drive to really know... however here are things I'd like to rule out before:

A) I used rubber o-rings on the fill and drain plugs and a NYLON ring for the dipstick last fall..... Anyone see a problem or have experience with this type of configuration? Should the Dipstick ring be made of rubber instead of nylon?

B) Is it possible that water entered the drive when I ran the boat on muffs with a leaky impeller housing? Thoughts on this?

See pics for entertainment!

Cheers!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
NO rubber orings, you use the same fiber washers for the drain / fill plugs!
There is a seal behind the impeller shaft that can leak and cause this problem. You should take it to a shop and get it pressure tested. I had 2 leaks in mine about 10 years ago, once those were fixed, all I have done is change the gear oil each season and I do replace all three of the fiber washers every time I change the gear oil. My leaks were that seal behind the water pump shaft and another one on the bearing retainer.

EL-BATO

Cadet
Thanks for the response, Lou C! Well appreciated. As much as I hate doing this, I might just bite the bullet and get fresh upper and lower seal kits professionally installed. I don't mind taking things apart in the fall, but now is prime-time boating season and there's too many ifs and maybes!

ps. I tried posting pics twice (hence the empty posts) but didn't seem to work...

Cheers

M

EL-BATO

Cadet
Thanks for the response, Lou C! Well appreciated. As much as I hate doing this, I might just bite the bullet and get fresh upper and lower seal kits professionally installed. I don't mind taking things apart in the fall, but now is prime-time boating season and there's too many ifs and maybes!

ps. I tried posting pics twice (hence the empty posts) but didn't seem to work...

Cheers

M

southkogs

Staff member
yeah, VBulletin isn't doing well with photos yet, but you can work from a hosting site like Photobucket.