Water in my 3.0L 140 hp mercruiser???

hondacrf434

Cadet
I have a 1977 four winns Marquise with a 140hp mercruiser. I have replaced the belows and the head last year. I had water get in last year due to the bad head.:mad: I used it allot last year pulling tubes and for fishing. I just replaced the last belows which was the shift cable. I got the new boot in today and started the motor, it fires up great (turn key) and idles and throttles up sweet! I had it running simply adjusting the shift cables. I noticed some oil seeping out of the dipstick tube because it was loose. I checked the oil and its a grey color.:confused: I am now confused as to were this water came from. I have yet to change the oil seeing as i found the problem and then jumped on here for some help. I was shutting the motor off and letting it sit for a while during adjustments with the water still turned on. Could the water from the hose make its way into the motor? The only other thing is i lost my nice cover in the last storm we had:mad:. I have a large tarp over the boat now until i buy another cover. I was up north for the holiday weekend and i do know that i rained allot down home. There was water in the bilge area and beetween the stringers because im replacing the floor. I had this motor running awesome last year and it performed great after i did the head work. i winterized and ran the out drive in antifreeze until i got it out of the dump ports. I then took water lines off and filled them with anti freeze. I am totaly confused on this one so hopefully i can get some help!:)

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in my 3.0L 140 hp mercruiser???

I have a 1977 four winns Marquise with a 140hp mercruiser. I have replaced the belows and the head last year. I had water get in last year due to the bad head.:mad: I used it allot last year pulling tubes and for fishing. I just replaced the last belows which was the shift cable. I got the new boot in today and started the motor, it fires up great (turn key) and idles and throttles up sweet! I had it running simply adjusting the shift cables. I noticed some oil seeping out of the dipstick tube because it was loose. I checked the oil and its a grey color.:confused: I am now confused as to were this water came from. I have yet to change the oil seeing as i found the problem and then jumped on here for some help. I was shutting the motor off and letting it sit for a while during adjustments with the water still turned on. Could the water from the hose make its way into the motor? The only other thing is i lost my nice cover in the last storm we had:mad:. I have a large tarp over the boat now until i buy another cover. I was up north for the holiday weekend and i do know that i rained allot down home. There was water in the bilge area and beetween the stringers because im replacing the floor. I had this motor running awesome last year and it performed great after i did the head work. i winterized and ran the out drive in antifreeze until i got it out of the dump ports. I then took water lines off and filled them with anti freeze. I am totaly confused on this one so hopefully i can get some help!:)

I stopped reading after you said that you started getting water in the oil, changed the head..... but didn't change the oil? Am I reading this correctly?

hondacrf434

Cadet

Yes. I put a new head on the boat last year. Used it allot since then and ran sweet! I have yet to change the oil today seeing as i jumped on here for help first. And i posted this because i have water in my oil and would like some advice as to were its comming from?

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Yes. I put a new head on the boat last year. Used it allot since then and ran sweet! I have yet to change the oil today seeing as i jumped on here for help first. And i posted this because i have water in my oil and would like some advice as to were its comming from?

What i mean is right when you replaced the head, did you change the oil? If not start there.

hondacrf434

Cadet

Yes. I changed the oil after i changed the head. Then i ran it for a few hours and changed it when i got it home. I then ran it the rest of the summer and changed the oil twice last summer. I have yet to have it in the water this year. I am replacing the floor and doing some other things to it. i know it had clean oil in it over winter and i checked it the firtst time i fired it up this year and it was clean. So it got water in it today while i was working on the shift cables. just dont know how it got into the motor. I made sure the motor was not running hot. The temp gage was only up to 100 and it normaly runs 150 all day. i have the boots that you connect to the end of your garden hoses and put it on the water pick ups on the out drives and thats what i run it with. Could it have gotten into the motor by leaving the hose on and the motor off? or could it be from the rain getting threw the tarp i have on it. Seems to me that it wouldnt have fired up today if it got in threw the carbs.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Yes. I changed the oil after i changed the head. Then i ran it for a few hours and changed it when i got it home. I then ran it the rest of the summer and changed the oil twice last summer. I have yet to have it in the water this year. I am replacing the floor and doing some other things to it. i know it had clean oil in it over winter and i checked it the firtst time i fired it up this year and it was clean. So it got water in it today while i was working on the shift cables. just dont know how it got into the motor. I made sure the motor was not running hot. The temp gage was only up to 100 and it normaly runs 150 all day. i have the boots that you connect to the end of your garden hoses and put it on the water pick ups on the out drives and thats what i run it with. Could it have gotten into the motor by leaving the hose on and the motor off? or could it be from the rain getting threw the tarp i have on it. Seems to me that it wouldnt have fired up today if it got in threw the carbs.

No, Doghouse prevents water from getting into the carb anyways. I power wash my engine once every couple years and nothing gets in my oil.

You have something else going on internally. I am sure bond-o or Don S. will chime in with what to check. Probably manifolds i would think, but they are much more knowledgeable than I.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Was it Winterized properly,..??

I'm Guessin' a Cracked Block is the only way to water up the oil in the short time ya ran it...

hondacrf434

Cadet

I dont think its a cracked block. i had it running for a good half hour or more. It has water in the oil but not much. Its a very weak carameal color more grey than anything. There is not much water in the oil but enough to make me worry.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I dont think its a cracked block. i had it running for a good half hour or more. It has water in the oil but not much. Its a very weak carameal color more grey than anything. There is not much water in the oil but enough to make me worry.

Perhaps if you put her on the water instead of the muffs..Open her up to 3,500 RPMS..Then you'll get your milkshake oil and be a believer you have a cracked block or manifold..