Water in gearcase, BF50A

Rickfifty

Seaman
Had lower unit off to repair(weld) a thumb-sized chip in the upper "fin". Put new gasket kit in the water pump and re-assembled unit. Ran it on the muffs for a few minutes and checked to make sure it shifted OK. This is not my boat so I'm not sure how it should look, but water was coming out of the pee-hole but also out of several other holes & slots in the lower unit. Is this normal? Bottom line is, there is also water in the gear oil. The unit was not disassembled except for the water pump and the plastic seal that goes around the shift rod. Any ideas about how the water is getting in the oil?

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water in gearcase, BF50A

Hey Rick, have you got a shop manual? If not, let me know and I'll send you a part of it that may help. <br /><br />Charlie

Rickfifty

Seaman

I have a Clymers manual. Where should I look? Been thumbing through it and still haven't found my answers.

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice

Rick, this is a Honda Shop Manual. I'm about to shift locations here, I'll send you the parts you need when I get back to my other house.<br /><br />Charlie

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice

Rick, forgot to bring the manual. It's now 90 miles away and I won't be down there for two weeks. Sorry, will follow up when I get back there. <br /><br />Charlie

Rickfifty

Seaman

Hey Charlie, I drained the funky gear lube and put some fresh lube in. I didn't want the mechanicals sitting in that brew. Just for the heck of it I put it on the muffs & ran it again. This time the lube looks good. I'm thinking that maybe some water got in there while it was out of my care, being welded and repainted(maybe wetsanded or something?). Anyway I drained that batch and I will refill and run it for a long time on the muffs before I'm certain it was some fluke. Thanks much for your replies.