water in gearcase 1988 70 hp

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class
before I start the process from the manual does anyone have any "this is where they always leak " help for me? Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in gearcase 1988 70 hp

I believe you have 5 seals to worry about.<br />Prop shaft seal, drive shaft seal, shift shaft seal, and the drain and vent screw gaskets/washers.<br /><br />Drain the lube, then fill with new, and put the screws back in using NEW gaskets. Check it after running for a few hours. Hopefully this will fix it, without having to replace the other seals.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there is also the orings and oring surfaces for the prop and driveshaft housings.on a motor that old especially with any salt use you need to do a tear down clean and inspect. but you really dont have to remove all the shafts unless you want t5o.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Trent

Captain

Make sure as was said above...replace 22,23,38,39 all waterpump gaskets and impeller while your their. Be careful with the shiftshaft. If you pull it out the shift cam down in the lower will fall out. Its a pain somtimes getting them lined back up. Just replace the seal and o-ring without pulling the shiftshaft out.Gearcase