water in gear

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it easy to change seals in lower unit of 63 75hp eletromtatic. I have discovered that the oil is a grey colour and it means there is water in there. I am assuming that the seals are gone. Is there any other possibilties to this situation

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: water in gear

yeh, buy a new L/U. but replacing seals is easier.

Xcusme

Commander

Juice,<br />You might want to replace the fill and vent screw sealing washers/o-rings first. Drain and fill L/U and run for awhile, recheck at a later date. If you do have bad seals, you'll know it. If the lube looks good, it was just the sealing washers and you've saved a rebuild.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wish I read you post first xcuse, but anyway, I dropped the lower unit and can't get the **** thing back on. It seems like it starts to go then it stops. Any tricks anyone?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

Skyhigh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure the exhaust and water pump tubes are lined up. If they are it’s the shift rod getting stuck in the rubber seals. Use fish tape to guide it.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

will try,tubes line up, so will try this. Seems real hard?

Xcusme

Commander

Juice,<br />Get things aligned the best you can, water tube, linkage etc. Then turn flywheel a bit clockwise and try again. Turning the flywheel can help align the driveshaft into the crankshaft splines. You did grease the driveshaft splines, didn't you?? Don't grease the top of the driveshaft, just the splines. Grease on top of the driveshaft can 'load' the shaft, making it hard to seat.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks xcus, i did just the splines not the top. Will try all you have suggested.<br /><br />Once again thanks

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also forgot to mention, when I pulled the lower end. At the front of it where it bolts up at the front a strange thick grey substance is coming down from up higher in th shaft. Let me get this straight it is not in the gear case but where it attaches to other part of the shaft, the substance is in the front of it and seems to be coming down from either the motor or somewhere eles. Not sure if this is gas/oil beingheated or what. Really strange. Anybody ever heard of this.

Xcusme

Commander

Sounds like it's a mixture of unburned fuel and water from the exhaust...perfectly normal. You'll see more or less of this depending on how much trolling and idleing you do.