Water in gear oil...possible entry locations?

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i went to change the gear oil in my 1967 (or 68) Evinrude 55 electric shift. The last time this was done was before I got the boat, and I was having issues finding neutral for a while until everything got warmed up. Well, here is what came out of the lower unit: <br />
Larsonoil.jpeg
<br /><br />So clearly there's water getting into the lower unit, and I dont know that that is Type C oil either (isnt it supposed to be lighter in color?). I plan to replace the seals on the fill and vent screws, as well as re-seal the water pump housing, and the cover for where the wiring enters the lowe unit (right in front of the water pump. I also intend to seal the mating surface where the lower unit meets the rest of the outboard. <br /><br />Am I missing any other possible infiltration locations? Also, do I need to do anything to flush out the lower unit before I put in the new oil? Thanks for any help. <br /><br />Dan

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in gear oil...possible entry locations?

Yeah the prop shaft seal. If you haven't, check for fishing line. It'll cut up a seal. Have it pressure tested before you fill 'er back up.

Walker

Captain

I also intend to seal the mating surface where the lower unit meets the rest of the outboard.
That's not necessary

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

try fill screw put sealer on it there knowen to leak water in, change oil color

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For flushing you can also use Dexron III tranny fluid if its less expensive, then refill with type C for the final fill.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I agree the most likely culprit is the prop shaft seal(s). Replace those, at least the outer one, and the O ring on the housing. Renew the seals on the level and drain plugs but leave further dismantling until you have given it another try. You may have done all that is necessary. If you still get water ingress then strip it down and replace all the seals gaskets and O rings that could possibly be contributing.<br /><br />Maybe you want to renew the pump impeller if so then do the whole lot at the same time anyway.<br /><br />If you don't go for a major strip down fill the unit with the cheapest light oil you can find (engine oil would be a good choice) give it a short run to stir every thing up, drain it, allowing it to drain overnight perhaps, and refill with the correct grade.