Water in Gear Lube

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
You guys have really set the hook in me. I got to reading the different forum postings, and what a great asset this is to know about. Nice Job! <br /><br />I bought a 89 Sea Ray 220OV the spring of 2002. The boat had 197 hrs on it! It has the 350 Merc 260HP w/ an Alpha One O/D. While draining the outdrive gear lube this fall, it had the creamy, milky color indicative of water polluting the oil. I noticed that the O rings on the oil vent and drain plugs looked bad. Is it possible that this is where that water came from? I grew up with my father having a straight inboard (73 wood Lyman) so I don't know a whole lot about outdrives, except you must maintain them! What kind of job is it to reseal the outdrive? I noticed the parts are relatively cheap as I checked some of the pricing on the web. <br /><br />One other thing, I seem to get vibration when turning the wheel, at low speeds(under plane) to the right. I read where some of you stated that this may be the Gimbal Bearing. Does that sound like the case?<br /><br />I think that this site may cure the cabin feaver I already have! Thanks for the imput!!

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in Gear Lube

Hammerhead,<br />Absolutely,I was missing the O-ring on the top plug on my outdrive.It was the first season I owned the boat so I wasnt sure if it was gone before.When I checked the gear lube it was milky. I drained and replaced the gear lube and installed the O-ring and went the whole season. When I drained the gearlube at the end of the seaon there wasnt a drop of water to be found! :)

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to do a pressure and vacuum test on the outdrive to see if there are any other leaks beyond the plug gaskets. If nothing shows up, then just replace the plug gaskets.<br /><br />Could very well be the gimbal bearing, but they usually will make constant noise or vibration. Could also be a u-joint problem in the making.<br /><br />

flashback

Captain

waterbugtoo, can u give us some details on how to do these tests......thanks.......

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Special tools needed:<br />Hand pressure pump with gauge<br />Hand vacuum pump with gauge<br /><br />Apply using top vent hole, oil drained, and drive on boat:<br />15 pounds pressure<br />15 inches vacuum<br /><br />Let each sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Gauge on pumps will show leak by bleeding off if there is one. DO NOT apply over 15 pounds/inches.<br /><br />If you find seals other than drain plug gaskets leaking, it is advised to reseal complete drive. If one seal is bad, then the others are surely close to the same condition. The cost of replacing seals vs a complete drive overhaul is not worth risking!<br /><br />

Trevor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the noise is probubly your u-joints. when you remove the leg do you have any water in you bellows because this would cause u-joint failure and allow water in the leg because the input shaft seal keep the oil in the leg and not water out it relies on the bellows for this. when ever the leg is off always put about 1/4 cup of merc high perf gear lube in there this keeps the bearing and u-joints lubed if water gets in there.