water in gas '78 johnson

Cadet
hi guys, i have a '78 johnson 9.9hp kicker that we use for trolling on lake michigan. it has run great over the last 3 years (1st pull ALWAYS!) well this weekend we were coming in during a huge rainstorm and started to smell gas. we looked at the tank for the 9.9 and found the cover fell off. not sure how much water got in the tank, we drained out the gas that was left (approx 1 gallon) but couldnt get all of it out. we put in a can of heat and refilled the tank with gas and oil. about an hour in to the next days trolling the motor started really bogging down. we could keep it running by throttling it up all the way and then bringing back down to trolling speed. after about an hour of this off and on it seems to work fine. my question is now that i have some time before our next tournament should i do anything to this motor?? by the way the motor was not running when the water got in the gas.<br /><br />thanks in advance....brian

alcan

Commander
Re: water in gas '78 johnson

Hi Karma<br />Getting a little water in the tank is not unusual with outboards. You may want to remove the carb and drain the bowl. Wipe out any water that may be left. As far as the tank goes just a quick swish with alcohol would have done the trick. If your motor is running fine now, then things are proably fine.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

karma<br /><br />Sounds like your good to go. Got some water in my tank recently and took a couple of tanks to run it all out. If it runs fine now your all set. I need to install an in line filter in mine and will when I get the time.

merc16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you should get a water seperater for your gas