Water in fuel tank only!!

ssn756

Seaman
Just got a 1991 bayliner 2655 55 gal fuel tank. As I'm going through it. I want to verify that the fuel float is correct at a full tank on the gauge. I lift the fuel float out and it's full alright. WATER!!!

I did notice that the vent hose was not attached, but that wouldn't introduce fuel into the tank right?

I have since pumped the water out of the tank but can't get the last few drops out.

What can I do to get the rest out?

How worried should I be if this did not come in through the removed vent line?

ssn756

Seaman
Re: Water in fuel tank

forgot to add picture.

fe3ea659.jpg

Pacoson71

Seaman Apprentice

Try a old towel cut into strips that you can push down the hole to wick up the liquid.

Small amounts would be diluted in your first fill up, just fill it all the way. Your water separator will handle the trace amounts.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Well, being that you didi not test it first I`d say it was sunk. rain water thru the inlet hose
could fill it but would not dilute it. Any history on this boat?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed--if it was full, you boat sunk.
Is that oil in the bilge?
When (if) you reinstall the sending unit, be sure it is sealed properly (gasket) as that is how some water can get in --but not a tank.

BTW if it didn't sink, perhaps the boat filled up with water on the trailer--plug in over the winter? Look for water lines in compartments, etc.

NYBo

Admiral

Check the filler cap. The gasket or O-ring is probably worn out or missing. That's the most likely route the water took. Also be sure to connect the vent line to the through-hull.

BTW if it didn't sink, perhaps the boat filled up with water on the trailer--plug in over the winter? Look for water lines in compartments, etc.
The gas tank was full of water, not the boat.

ssn756

Seaman

I don't know any better but I don't think that it sunk. Where it is now is where it's been the last 4 years, in the water abandoned by the previous owner. a couple of marina neighbors stopped by and wished me luck in getting it back in shape but they didn't know the previous owner.

The marina put a lien against it and sold it to me, I'm pretty sure I got a good deal, I feel good about it.

Just got back from working on it, and got the engine to turn over and start for a few seconds by injecting fuel into carburetor. (bad fuel pump)

I will check the filler cap.

The bilge doesn't have a drop of oil in it. but the water is pretty cruddy.

BTW: what i did was adapt a automotive fuel pump, drop it in through the sending unit's hole and pumped almost all the water into the bilge where the bilge pump sent it overboard. Will do the cut-up rags bit.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

wow.
While typically a bad seal on a fill cap, bad seal on sender, etc. won't fill a tank with water, it might after 4 years. But IMO not likely. It is also not likely that a boat would sit abandoned at a marina and not sink. Batteries don't last that long. Someone had to have been doing a little something to it.

Never pump water from a fuel tank, or bilge water with fuel in it, overboard. You cannot know that it is 100% water.

NYBo, I know the boat wasn't full when he bought it, but my suspicion is that the boat filled with water at some time--at the dock or on the trailer--and was pumped out or drained before sale.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, HC, I just realized what you meant as I was re-rereading the thread. :redface:

If the boat WAS sunk and/or simply left out in the weather for 4 years, water in the gas tank might be the least of his worries.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

...and he could replace the fuel in the tank and add seafoam to it...fix the fuel pump for the engine...and it might run great and turn out to be a good deal. It does happen occasionally.

ssn756

Seaman

wow.
While typically a bad seal on a fill cap, bad seal on sender, etc. won't fill a tank with water, it might after 4 years. But IMO not likely. It is also not likely that a boat would sit abandoned at a marina and not sink. Batteries don't last that long. Someone had to have been doing a little something to it.

That concerns me now. the batteries were completely dead, I still haven't been able to bring them back to life and i've saved a lot of batteries.

The boat floats though :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

submerging a battery will do that. Was the boat covered so that all the rain/snow wouldn't get in the boat?

D

DJ

You would be surprised how much water can get into a tank through a bad filler cap. Especially after four years. Once i, it would evaporate, VERY slowly.

ssn756

Seaman

a88463b8.jpg

Yep the experts have weighed in and are right again.

The boat has taken on a considerable amount of water at some time. Don't know if the batteries were wet but the water left it's calling sign. WATERLINE mark in the cabin there's also one in the bilge. I was too excited and didn't put it together.

Thanks for the fuel tank ?? Now I'm off to start a new thread in the hull repair forum ;):mad: