water in exhaust

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '86 150hp blackmax. It seems that a lot of water is coming out of the exhaust. There is also water coming out of the tell tale that has pretty good flow and is not very hot. Do I have a problem with an exhaust seal or is this normal?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: water in exhaust

Welcome to iboats!!

Water in the exhaust is fine as long as you have a strong stream at the tell tale and the engine is not hot tot he touch.

gss036

Commander

Water in exhaust is normal as Plainman states. Are you talking at idle or higher speeds? Are you running a little hot at idle? If it continues to bother you, check your poppet valve as this dumps excess water into the exhaust, might be that it is not seating correct.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response regarding water in my exhaust. I have a bigger problem now... - My engine starts and idles fine, but at WOT dies down to almost nothing (1,200rpm). When I pump the fuel bulb, nothing happens. When I hold in the choke, it revs up and has even hit 4,800rpm while holding the choke in. The moment that I let out the choke, she dies back down to almost nothing. I have a brand new portable tank and line to the engine and I am using new 89 octane gas. I took out the fuel pump filter screen. Any thoughts? Carbs/jets? fuel pump? electronics? Thank you.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

could be plugged uptank vent, but more likely needs fuel pump kit

Laddies

Banned

If choking a engine will make it gain RPM the problem is not fuel pump, it's dirty carbs, for the engine to speed up when it's choked the fuel is already in the float bowl proving that the pump is working

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid of that Laddies. The carb rebuild is going to be a big job for me. I will probably throw in a fuel pump kit first...just in case...its cheap and easy. I will have to set aside a long weekend for the carb rebuild.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies, I sprayed some carb cleaner into the fuel pump and into the fitting for the hoses that comes off the fuel pump. After doing this, the engine ran pretty good for about 1 minute at WOT. Does this change your mind about a fuel pump problem versus a carb cleaning?

Laddies

Banned

If the fuel pump is bad you can overcome the problem with pumping the bulb. As far as cleaning the high speed jet you can remove the hig sreed jets with the carbs left on the engine, just remove the 6 brass bowl plug and the high speed come out with them, if the engines idles alright you don't need to pull the carbs, if cleaning the high speeds fixes the problem and you still don't want to clean the carbs get some fuel injector and carb clean to mix in the fuel it sould help

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent. I will try pulling the high speed jets and cleaning them next Friday night when I get back to the boat. Thanks for the help...I really appreciate your help and this forum.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Mercury 150 Blackmax 2cycle 1982: Well, I pulled the main jets and cleaned them...it did nothing. The engine still idles great, but bogs down and won't exceed 1,200rpm. The fuel pump diaphram looks to be in perfect shape and anyway, I can pump the bulb while underway and it does nothing. I called Mercury and asked them why my engine is bogging down to almost nothing. I also explained to them that the engine kicks in with quite a bit more power when I hold in the choke. They said that it was my reed valve or check valve. What do you guys think about this? I'm not even sure where to find the reed valve or check valve or how to fix it. What do the vent jets do? Should they be fully closed? I really feel that the key here is that pushing in and holding in the choke gives me power. I'm nearing a decision to rebuild the carbs, which I dont want to do...it costs $95 for a rebuild kit for each of the 3 carbs! Help.

Laddies

Banned

The reed valves only function on starting and dead idle. the bowl vents are used to help the engine stop four cycling at mid range they must be clear or the engine could run lean at mid range, if you want to see if they are the problem take them out and run tne engine. Double ck the engine for spark if you have a bad switch box or high speed winding in the stator it's possable that you are lossing 3 cyls.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Thank Laddies. I will check the spark. Also I will back out the vent jets. I will let you know on Saturday how it goes.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies etal, you suggested that I check the engine for spark to see if I'm losing 3 cylinders. I'm not really sure how to check for this. I bought a spark tester, but have never used one. Do I plug the wire onto the tester and clamp the tester onto the sparkplug and look for spark? ...and do I do this while in WOT where all of my problems actually occur. It still starts and idles great. I've read hundreds of these posts and it seems like my problem must be electrical in some way. By the way, i rebuilt the fuel pump this afternoon and then fired it up and for the first time it ran down the lake at over 4,000rpm for about 3 minutes straight and now it is bogging down to about 1,300 rpm again. weird...i just don't get it.

phkr

Cadet

Sounds like you are vapor locking to me. Make real sure that your fuel tank is venting. try taking the filler cap off and see what happens. Just a thought.