Water in Engine Oil !!!

asbennett

Seaman
Hi - I am repairing a 1982 OMC Sterndrive with 2.5L 4 CYL. I noticed water in the engine oil. I had the head magnafluxed and it came back good. I am going to replace the head gasket next. Where are the most common places for water leaks to occur. This is a open cooling system with fresh water. I have heard the manifold and riser can crack but how do you pressure test them?

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in Engine Oil !!!

Assuming the manifold and riser are original...they're 20 years old. If it were me...I'd just go ahead and replace them. You can pressure test them...but Trent's posted a neat idea before. Says to remove the maifold/riser from the engine and fill one side of the manifold chamber with gasoline. Please do so very carefully! Gasoline tends to weep through and show any cracks much quicker than water... It's the wall that divides the two chambers that generally cracks which allows water to enter into the engine via the exhaust port.<br /><br />Walt

asbennett

Seaman

I will try the gas test. However, one strange thing I have seen... When looking at the Intake and Exhaust ports on the head, the exhaust ports look "normal" (slight carbon from the exhaust - no rust) the intake ports are both very rusted. Could this STILL be a manifold problem? and why?

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might have a cracked block also.<br />The intake looking rusty doesn't really tell anything.When people store the boats they forget to fog the engine prior to not using,this causes most rust in the intake area.<br />Any areas or the orignal head gasket burned through?<br />Did yo look at all the cylinder walls real good look for faint lines the look like cracks .<br /><br />Rich

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might have a cracked block also.<br />The intake looking rusty doesn't really tell anything.When people store the boats they forget to fog the engine prior to not using,this causes most rust in the intake area.<br />Any areas of the orignal head gasket burned through?<br />Did you look at all the cylinder walls real good look for faint lines the look like cracks .<br /><br />Rich

Walter

When my manifold failed...once I pulled it off, it was very obvious which exhaust port received the majority of the water. Lots of rust evident... I'm not sure what to make of your exhaust ports looking "normal". Maybe your problem isn't a cracked manifold...but that's still a good place to start looking. Let us know what you find out...<br /><br />Walt

asbennett

Seaman

OK - Maybe some good news. I inspected the manifold and riser last night. There is a plate between the riser and manifold that adapts the two together. I found the the person I baught the boat from had put this plat in upside down. This left a 1/8 inch gap allowing water to enter the exhaust at the base of the riser. Question - do you think this is most likely the only place water was entering the oil? IF water was going through the cylendar and past the rings - does this mean my piston rings are also bad? Keep the help coming!

Walter

While the head was off...how did the cylinder bore look? Once you put everything back together you can do a compression test...that will tell you a lot about your rings. If I were you...I'd consider the age of the engine...and get whatever hours out of her as I could. Hopefully you caught the oil contamination before any damage occurred. It may take a few oil changes to flush the milky oil out...<br /><br />Keep us posted.<br /><br />Walt